The land of OZ!!! (AAAAAHHHS)

flintrock

It looks like the coyotes were pretty active during the super moon in our part of the world. Heres a few more.

Purchased an eotech for my shotgun last week and it arrived Thursday ( my near vision sucks). Got it mounted up and sighted in, ready for a few stands Friday morning.
Made 4 stands. 1st and 4th were blanks.

2nd was in a freshly cut bean field that had a grassy waterway nearly cutting it in half. On the 2nd series of rabbit a hard charger came from the waterway paused for just a second then came right on in. Put her in the circle and pulled the trigger and she was DRT @ 22 yds.

3rd stand was at the edge of an uncut bean field overlooking a hay meadow with a wooded draw running through it and to within 25 yds. of the beans. That is where I sat. At the end of the stand I went to pup distress and on the second series saw one just peeking over a terrace. Put it in the circle and pulled the trigger. DRT @ 52 steps.

Quite a few pellets on target, for that distance, in this aging female.
I wish I would have owned one of these sooner!

It was Sunday evening before I got another chance to call. On the way to the stand some neighbors were in their yard so I stopped to visit for just a couple of minutes. As I left their driveway there was a coyote straight East at the far end of a cut bean field ( I think there is a trend developing) headed South into the wind. Do I go south and chance giving up the wind and try to intercept or North and try to turn it around. I opted for South. The coyote was headed through a series of 4 small bean fields divided by small brushy drainages. I headed for the farthest South one, got the truck hidden and hurried across the fence. I sat in the first cedar tree available and started calling. I was pretty sure it wouldn't come charging across the open field toward the road and was just hoping to get it to step out. It did, straight East, and promptly sat down to watch. After a couple of minutes it got up to leave so I barked it to a stop and sent a 50 grain V max. DRT @ 300 yds.

He stepped out at the shorter tree in the distance in the center of the picture.

That happened quick so I've got enough light for another stand. Hurried a mile West to a pond dam in a section pasture that had a thin strip of shorter grass in the drainage below it.

The line of tall grass starting on the left and running across the picture to the right is about armpit deep. Just the normal rabbit sounds and pup distress without a response so ended with coyote fight. The light was fading fast so I had all but quit the stand. The sun was down, the super moon was on the rise and it was the normal time for coyotes to start howling. At just about that time they did, taking turns from several directions behind me from about a mile away to far in the distance.
I sat listening to them and enjoying the moonrise until they got quiet. As I normally do I checked through my scope for anything in the distance before standing up to leave and low and behold there is a white triangle in the sea of grass a little to my left about 125 yds. out. I couldn't positively identify it so I cranked the scope up and there were two pointy ears and a pointy little nose. I watched for a little bit to make sure and when it looked left and I got a profile I was 100%. Before he could look back around I centered on that white triangle and fired. It was dead calm and the bullet impact seemed as loud as the gunfire. I thought retrieval was going to be nearly impossible but picked out a tree in the distance for line up and nearly stepped on him in the tall grass.

The dark coyote was the one hiding in the grass. I wonder how long he was sitting there?

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Infidel 762I hope you washed your hands after digging around in that old females mouth;)

Very nice...

I just wipe it off on my pants leg and make the next stand upwind. What better scent killer/attractant than a little coyote spit and blood? I do make a concerted effort not to pick my nose until washing though.
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: JTPinTXGood story. It seems things are really working for you right now. Keep laying them down.

Thanks JTP. There are still a few dumb ones around I guess.

Originally Posted By: jf1073very nice, you've been busy.
what load in the shotty?

Hornady Magnum Heavy Coyote load on these, with a modified choke. 4 buck patterns well but needs a full choke in my gun so I can't mix them. I've seen a ballistic gel tests on both loads but they were done with a short barrel. I actually think the Hornadys hit harder!

Thanks fellas!

I talked my son into firing the Hornaday heavy yote out of my 6 lb coach side by side this weekend and may have forever lost his trust lol

Back