Remington R15 problems

MCary

I just bought a new R15. I had trouble zeroing it. It was spraying rounds all over the place. I tried different loads, different optics, different bench setups, and finally came to the conclusion it was the rifle. I checked the barrel nut and it seemed fine. So I took it to my gunsmith and ran a borescope down it. The bore was rough and pitted. I assume that it the problem. The rounds aren't spinning right making it more of a musket than a rifle.

So now I need to call Remington and see if they will send me a new barrel. The other option is to take it back to Cabelas and have them send it for repair. Which could take weeks but would be free.

Last option is to bite the bullet and buy a new barrel. Does anyone know a good place to buy a barrel that would fit an R15, which is essentially a Bushmaster? I'm looking for a 22-24 inch barrel with a crowned muzzle.

Any brand barrel for the AR-15 platform will work if you buy a new barrel. I like my Black Hole Weaponry barrel really well.

I would imagine (or at least hope) Remington would take care of the problem if it was sent out in that condition from the factory. I would call them and/or Cabelas first to try and get it resolved.

Sounds like you got a bad barrel. I'm sure Remington will make it right, but I have no idea what their turn-around is. I would do everything possible to get them to send a new barrel. Even if you choose to purchase and install an aftermarket barrel, you can always sell the Remington barrel to offset the cost some.

I don't own one personally, but it looks like the R-15 is a standard AR pattern rifle, which means any AR-15 barrel should fit it. This would be a good opportunity to upgrade, if you want to spend the coin. There are a lot of good options - White Oak Armament and Wilson are just a couple that pop into mind. Heck, you could even send it up to DTech Uppers and have it fitted with a Shilen barrel.

If you don't want to spend the extra $$ on a really nice barrel, I'd stick with having Remington replace it. If you go with a bargain-basement barrel, it's not gonna perform any better than what Remington is gonna put on it. It'll be money out of your pocket for no good reason.

Not sure of the return policy on guns at Cabelas but I've never had a problem returning or exchanging any thing else I bought from them. My Foxpro Fusion started skipping within the electronic warranty period and I swapped it out there instead of going through Foxpro. I'm sure Renington will make it right but I try Cabelas first.

BTW I love my R15, if it wasn't for Mario Homo I'm sure I'd be loving a few more ARs too.

Last edited:
Not good. I have a Remington R-15 VTR with an 18" fluted barrel that shoots as good as my two Rock Rivers. I've had it for about 6 years, so it is a Bushmaster barrel. They may be cutting more corners now in manufacturing to make more pennies for the Japanese owners. Hope you get it resolved

You can try taking it back to Cabela's, not sure what their return policy on guns is, but it wouldn't surprise me if they decline to exchange it. If so, I'd just go to Remington. It will be a bit of a hassle but I'm sure they'll make it right.

I've dealt with Remington on issues in the past. I'm 100% sure they won't just send you a barrel, they'll have you send in the whole rifle for repair.

If it were me, I'd call them, have them send you a shipping box (if you didn't save the one it came in), have them issue a call tag from UPS or FedEx, and get it sent in. I've done this myself so I know they will do it this way.

I'm sure they'll rectify the problem at no cost, even shipping will be on them. And they usually throw in a hat for the hassle
smile.gif

It's a bummer you got a lemon. Like others here have said, I too own an R-15 and it shoots right with any of my others.

wily

Update, Cabela's won't exchange firearms. They will repair them for free. They send them to Minn.

Remington would not send a barrel. They wanted the entire rifle. They said turn around was 4-6 weeks but could be a little as 10 days.

So, heck with it, I ordered a new stainless steel, 24" barrel with a 1-8" twist, predator contour, twenty-four 5 star reviews claiming tiny moa's, argghh grunt grunt. 2 day shipping, I'll be back out by this weekend. (once my gunsmith installs the barrel and sets the headspace of course)

Mike

Originally Posted By: MCaryUpdate, Cabela's won't exchange firearms. They will repair them for free. They send them to Minn.

Remington would not send a barrel. They wanted the entire rifle. They said turn around was 4-6 weeks but could be a little as 10 days.

So, heck with it, I ordered a new stainless steel, 24" barrel with a 1-8" twist, predator contour, twenty-four 5 star reviews claiming tiny moa's, argghh grunt grunt. 2 day shipping, I'll be back out by this weekend. (once my gunsmith installs the barrel and sets the headspace of course)

Mike

Head space is set to the barrel extension. That should be done already. It's a simple and quick job to disassemble and reassemble an AR upper. But, of you don't feel comfortable, let the GS do it.

Most places I e ever known are all sales final on firearms. Cabela's typically send the firearm back to the manufacturer for repairs, or a manufacturer approved repair facility.

I figured Remington wouldn't send just a bbl. they will send small parts, but not a big part such as a bbl.

The gun shop I USE to work at would send a firearm in for repair for the customer if it was bought there. If it was a new firearm, it should have a warranty.

Back