Howa .223 heavy barrel

the_rookie

Hey guys.

I have recently bought a howa 1500 heavy barrel. It has a 1:9 twist. I am curious,can it shoot 5.56 ammo? I know most people say a .223 barrel can't because the 5.56 is built to withstand a higher pressure etc, but would the heavier barrel make a difference? Or am i wrong all together and it would be fine even if it wasnt a heavy barrel? I have emailed howa to ask but no reply yet.

Thanks for the help
smile.gif

Last edited:
Welcome! I would say wait for manufacturers decision, they know thier product better than anyone. Pressure differences between the two cartridges should be kept in mind.

If the gun doesn't say .223/556 on the side they will tell you 223. Technically yes it will shoot but I wouldn't do it. I'd only recommend what is stamped on the side

Oh go for it. I have never heard of any sort of .223 ever having the slightest issue with firing 5.56 in it. The pressure differences are insignificant and even more so when fired in a good strong bolt action.

Warm .223 handloads can equal or exceed 5.56 pressures and to be sure, I have fired many of them over the years.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI agree with Rusty but didn't say anything. Last time I mentioned pressure, I was told I was pretty much stupid.

Yeah, me too. It's amazing what old wives (and some not so old) tales there are out there. The gun industry as well as gun writers are always wanting to keep their asses covered so they are are never going to suggest something where there is even the most remote chance that it could come back and bite them on the butt.

I just copied this just a few minutes ago:

If you’ve read about this topic before, you’ve been told not to fire 5.56 in a .223 chamber. The possible results from this, you may have been told, can be catastrophic – the destruction of your firearm, and, at the same time, you might be injured or killed. It’s scary, but not quite true.

'.223 Remington ammunition is pressure tested in what is called a “SAAMI Minimum Spec” chamber – that is, a “worst case scenario” chamber in this regard, made to the smallest dimensions, which would result in the highest pressures with any given ammunition. In reality, the likelihood of encountering such a chamber outside a testing lab is incredibly small. Many .223 Remington chambers will see maximum chamber pressures which are several thousand pounds per square inch (PSI) lower than those seen in SAAMI test barrels.'

And the ammo they tested the average 5.56 pressures were lower than the average .223 Remington ammo they tested. Almost 5,000 PSI lower. Hmmm....

5.56 chamber is not the same as a .223
The biggest difference is the throat length
If a 5.56 round loaded to max 5.56 pressure is fired in a .223
chamber there is a possibility of problems.
Ruger found this out as the original Mini14's were .223 and shooters were having problems with surplus military ammo
then Ruger went to a 5.56 chamber

Is the "throat" in the barrel or just before it? If it is in the barrel it wou make sense that a heavier barrel would be able to handle a higher pressure. Is this correct?

According to my Hornady Reloading manual #8, the Service rifle (5.56x45) and the 223 cases are identical in every way? I have noticed one difference, the primers on the 5.56 ammo are usually crimped. Just repeating the Hornady #8. I'm sure the guru's will come in later and answer the questions for you.

Last edited:
This is the reply message i got from howa

The short answer is you can shoot .223rem and 5.56 ammo in a 5.56 rifle but not the other way around.

Strictly .223rem ammunition only in a rifle chambered in .223rem.

For a broader explanation I’ll let you do your own homework hahahaha, but some friendly advice, not everyone on a forum has experience. Some less than yourself. Try and find better quality information other than sourcing it through forums.

Cheers

If one actually knew what their chamber dimensions were, that is the determining factor. Much of the 5.56 designated stuff is steel core FMJ bullets that tend to be longer and may engage the lands too much. However, with this in mind, factory guns typically have something of a Wylde type chamber to prevent issues.

5.56 and 223 ammo are loaded to the same pressures. The difference in pressure readings is how they are measured. (CUP vs PSI).

The manufacturer will ALWAYS error on the side of caution as a CYA action.

Bottom line is, many many documented and respected people have used tons of 5.5.6 ammo in a 223 chamber with zero ill effects. As a matter of fact, when challenged, I have yet to see a single case of where shooting 5.56 designated ammo in a 223 designated chamber caused any Damage or Failures. . Not once has a case been shown.

The throat is the portion of the chamber in between the case neck and the start of the rifling
some chambers use a long throat or "freebore" to manage pressures
on hot loads, Weatherby and military cartriges in particular

So what im thinking is in a shtf situation and i have no other option i can use 5.56 but try to stay stocked up on .223 ammo because eventho damaging the gun is unlikely its not worth risking it if i dont have to. And in the mean time i will find out the dimensions and compare them to the 5.56 equivalent.
smile.gif

This is why I buy my rifles chambered in 5.56 and 7.62 not .223 and .308. So I will be able to shoot whatever is available to me at any given time. I'm not a bench rest minded guy so while the chamber dimensions of my rifles may not be super tight, they work out pretty well. I can always just neck size after fire forming to fit my chambers tightly. I have read a lot on this subject and as you can see there are various beliefs on the subject. Me? I have chosen not to shoot 5.56 in a .223. My concern is not so much pressure issues but throat/lead erosion which would decrease accuracy.

I've got a question I hope someone will answer. In answer to all this BS about 5.56 & .223 & problems with pressures & such, why doesn't all gun makers use the Wylde chamber? Seems like this would end all issues except in older guns. What am I missing here?
JD

Originally Posted By: Texas Swifty I've got a question I hope someone will answer. In answer to all this BS about 5.56 & .223 & problems with pressures & such, why doesn't all gun makers use the Wylde chamber? Seems like this would end all issues except in older guns. What am I missing here?
JD

Quick answer is, they do. Any factory rifle I have ever checked had plenty of leade to accommodate long 5.56 steel core stuff.

Part of the reason that they say not to shoot 5.56 in a .223 rifle is the rate of twist is wrong for some of the heavier ball ammo. If the 62 grain fmj bullets are steel core armor piercing type the .223 may not have enough thread in the barrel to stabilize it. My brother had a .223 that had a 1-9 and his shot the fmj 5.56 stuff pretty decent, I had the same rifle in a much older model with a 1-12 twist and it would scatter the same ammo all over the place and sometimes get keyholes.

Back