Why would Tikka make 6.5 Creedmoor in 20 inch barrel

NDAR15MAN

I don't get it.... Why would Tikka waste there money and make a 6.5 Creedmoor in a 20 inch barrel. ? What a waste. I have a 243 tikka and lt is a great shooter has 22 inch barrel. I just could not bring my self to pay $1000.00 for the gun and give up 200 to 300 fps. You have to have it to get over 1000 yards. I went with the Ruger m77 and 28 inch barrel very happy with my purchase. Sorry tikka I do miss that bolt feed on your gun thou , feels like it is sliding on ball bearings. Martyd

I am deliberately building a 20" 6.5x47 right now.... I even second guessed it at first, looked at some data from well-known shooters and kinda laughed at myself for being silly.

The same reason people make silly posts... or paint AR's JD green and yellow.... because they can !
grin.gif

Tim you really hate that JD gun. Ha ha ha. You must be a Case man. Ha ha. But I will say it gets me on a lot of ranches to prairie dog hunt every year. Anyway.... I was under the understanding that you loose between 30 and 50 fps per inch compared to a 24 inch barrel ? On my Ruger m77 28 inch barrel I gained 105 fps over my friends 24 inch barrel in same cal and ammo. On my 223 16 inch barrel I loose 280 fps compared to my 24 in barrel gun. Maybe machine is messed up. ? Martyd

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NDAR15MANTim you really hate that JD gun. Ha ha ha. You must be a Case man. Ha ha. But I will say it gets me on a lot of ranches to prairie dog hunt every year. Anyway.... I was under the understanding that you loose between 30 and 50 fps per inch compared to a 24 inch barrel ? On my Ruger m77 28 inch barrel I gained 105 fps over my friends 24 inch barrel in same cal and ammo. On my 223 16 inch barrel I loose 280 fps compared to my 24 in barrel gun. Maybe machine is messed up. ? Martyd

Comparing two different barrels really means nothing bud. Different quality, twist, rifling, and on and on.

Even my last two 6mm barrels, made by Krieger, same twist, same length, same reamer (which has only cut my two chambers), same load, same Chrony same everything are 70 fps apart.

Apples to oranges. I'll never own a barrel over 22" the rest of my life.

I've even had everything cut down expect a fluted factory rifle.

I like them handy...

I wanted 22" at first on my 6.5, but after handling a couple of 20" rifles and seeing some Long Range targets I was more than satisfied at 20".

No offense taken. Just did not realize that speed did not have that much impact on on long distance shooting. I have been getting into more long range shooting matches at 1000 yard targets and 600 yard targets. I think it might matter at little more in the target shooting matches then predator hunting because if the know distances. Just seemed to me tikka would be giving up a lot of market share with a 20 inch barrel compared to 22 inch , 24 , 26 and even 28 inch barrel in the 6.5 Creedmoor. But they have the shortest barrel covered I guess. Marty

There is still plenty of speed to get you out where you need it. Some guys on here are even deliberately building 18-20" 6.5's of various chambering. Speed isn't what gets you there, ballistics and knowing the load are. Additionally, that 4" lop is only likely to loose 100-125 FPS over a 24" variant. Not enough to worry over.

Here's my 18" 6.5x47L. I run 140gr HPBT at 2700 FPS. Never had any trouble getting them to 1K.

Hopefully in about a month I will get my new McM GS in to finish up the 18" 6.5 Creed. I bet it will get to a 1K pretty easy too
wink.gif

....and I am not sure why the he11 the pics are so big now....sorry!

Last edited:
SB, why a 6.5 creed when you have the 6.5 L ? Not hate'n ,just wondering. I don't have any 6.5s.................................................yet.
whistle.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeSB, why a 6.5 creed when you have the 6.5 L ? Not hate'n ,just wondering. I don't have any 6.5s.................................................yet.
whistle.gif

So my 8 year old son will leave my crap alone
lol.gif
. No, I am going to set it up to run 123 gr Amax's....for a short while and then the ELD's eventually. I wanted something I could grab some good factory ammo for him. But I am sure dad will shoot it a little too!

I have three 6 x 47 Lapua and three 6.5 x 47 Lapua with each caliber having 26", 24" and 20" barrels. I only lost about 25 fps per inch. All have been run out past 1K wirh ease.

Pretty sure Ernie has a lot of cool toys with shorter barrels that shoot way out there

I'm very curious, if you were to keep only one , which one would it be? Would you go with a break or suppressed? (Deciding weather or not to purchase my first suppressor)

Originally Posted By: CampowerI'm very curious, if you were to keep only one , which one would it be? Would you go with a break or suppressed? (Deciding weather or not to purchase my first suppressor)

Suppressor, without a doubt.

Perhaps because CTR stands for COMPACT Tactical Rifle, i.e. shorter barrel. Not everyone who buys a 6.5 CM needs/wants to shoot 1000+ yards with it, although it can still be done easily with short barrels. It's an accurate round with good ballistics using fairly cheap factory match ammo. You only give up around 20fps/inch so it's not that big of a deal. People have hit 1000 with 18" .223s and 16" .308s. Velocity isn't the only factor, high BC bullets are more important. More people are running suppressed and it gets unwieldy with long barrels.

http://rifleshooter.com/2016/02/6-5-cree...up-a-creedmoor/

Last edited:
Back