7.62x39 vs 6.8 SPC

tjf76

Trying to decided between the two in a AR15 platform. I like both calibers so this is a tough choice for me. I would be using for plinking, varmints,deer and whatever else come my way. I'm not a reloader so ammo availability is a concern with the 6.8. But good hunting ammo is a concern with the x39.

An easy answer is to get both but I only want one for right now.

6.8 is a much better caliber. Good for deer out to 3-400 yards with a 16" barrel, more and better loads available, and ammo can be found cheap if you look.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tjf76What about the 6.8 for HD?

FWIW, I currently have 5 AR-15s(1-5.56 NATO, 1-223 Wylde, 2-6.8 SPCs, and 1-6mm WOA), to choose from for HD. I chose the 6.8 SPC, launching 110 gr. VMax bullets. How I decided which one was an accident...literally. I was checking a magazine, for feeding, in my shop(steel side/roof 2 story, 2x6 construction(insulated)), in the second floor gunsmith area. I was stupidly using live ammo, and the rifle slam fired. When the smoke cleared, I assessed the damage...I always point firearms in a safe direction, and in this case it was towards a wooded hillside, outside my shop. So the bullet went through a Doskill, two rifle plastic case, stored in a gambrel roof pocket, and hit a roof rafer, and stopped. The VMax bullet expanded when it went through the case, and when it hit the roof rafter, spent it's energy before punching a hole in my pretty steel gambrel roof. That was enough evidence to get the 6.8 SPC 110 gr. VMax load selected as my home defense round. It is going to stop before going through a number of walls, if it hits anything besides wall board. One could probably get the same results with a 55 gr. ballistic tip, in a 223/5.56 rifle, but I like the idea of twice the weight in the bullet meant for bad guys. YMMV

Squeeze

You can have good hunting ammo for either delivered right to your door thanks to the www. 7.62 can be tricky to get to run reliably. Some guys have no problems, others have headaches. The 6.8 will probably be more reliable and accurate from the get go. Not difficult to find good 6.8 ammo in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. Montana probably not as popular. Love my 6.8. Dropped a Colorado pronghorn last year on the spot. But a 7.62 would have done the same thing at the same 100 yards I bet. Let us know what you decide!

I throw another one at you to look at. Check out the 6.5grendel. It would fill your needs very well. In the process of building 2 right now. Just have to wait until xmas to get to shoot them due to one is my kids and it is his xmas and graduation gift. Plus the barrels are down there.

Ive never used a x39 for hunting. But i have been using a 6.8 16" for about 8 years now and love it. No complaints at all. Only problem is availability of brass for reloading. I bought several thousand when LWRC had it for sale one fired and when the primed brass hit the online stores i got a bunch more.
But saying all that ive seen hornady 120gr ammo at almost every store except walmart so its easy to get. Never seen any hunting ammo for the x39, its all FMJ stuff.

I keep my 6.8 with me everyday and hunt with it almost every night for hogs. I take it into work to charge the Thermal at my desk and head out to the farms after work. Tried some Cavity back bullets 105gr coppers and they worked awesome on hogs. Saving some to try on deer this weekend. But my go to round is the 120gr SST for deer, coyotes, hogs, and general purpose.

no questions asked 6.8 spc -- American made and developed, a lot more quality hunting ammo options and not some communist round

I'm on my second season with the 6.8 and will likely be my go to from now on. 7.62 belongs on the AK or SKS platform, 2 friends have build AR's and have been nothing but headaches.

Originally Posted By: tjf76Hornady once fired brass any good?

I reload Hornady brass, both reloading brass and once fired factory ammunition scraps - I have no reason to believe they aren't the exact same brass.

Good weight consistency, a little soft so pockets open up faster with hot loads, but not so fast I wouldn't recommend it. I've been happy to choose Hornady over Remington and Win brass, and happy to pay a lot less than Nosler, Lapua, or Norma brass for it.

Back