Backdoor coyote, almost a double!

204 AR

As I got home from work the wind was dropping. The unpicked cornfield to the west of our place promised a chance of success, and though in two years I've never called anything around our small acreage the different crops in the neighborhood make this a different year. I can tell you that is where all the pheasants have been hiding for sure!

It was a long shot I thought but worth a try. About 200 yds from my back door is a decent stand, although the curve of the land gives a blind spot between you and the cornfield. It would have to do, and any coyote would have to come out of the corn quite a ways, but with nothing to lose I started pheasant distress. After about 3 minutes a rooster flushed from the corn. Another minute and another rooster, this one closer. Another minute or so, and there he is, right next to the Fury! I was pointing that way, so had him in the scope quickly and squeezed. Nothing! I had forgotten to chamber a round in the 243lbc! I quickly hid the bolt release, and he started back to the corn. I totally blew a gimme shot as I shot too quickly and behind him.

Well not believing it worked, and I blew it, I sat quietly for a moment in sadness before shrugging and hitting pup distress, preset #1. I really didn't believe at this point but it was too early to quit. Scanning in the distance revealed nothing, then glancing back close we spotted each other at the same instant, another coyote at about 75 yds. He started trotting off and the first shot was errant but number 2 rolled him up.

After another minute or two I decided "good enough" and collected my prize, one of the nicer light colored coyotes I've ever shot. I plan to get him tanned if I can find a taxidermist to answer the phone tonight.

This is where things get interesting. As I'm putting stuff away in the garage another one, or the first one, starts barking and howling from maybe 100 yds away between a shelter belt and and the corn field. Pup distress, then female challenge howls did no good but to keep him barking. I finally gave up and will try it again another time.

Thanks, I will have to try it again before they get the corn out. Sorry for the terrible pic.

Anyway, here's another one from this morning, the only one we saw in some awesome territory. A really well furred up female that brought $20 on the carcass.

Snowshoe #2 brought her to the crest of the ridge, then vole squeaks sealed the deal. About a 150 yd shot, she looked tiny as I had the scope turned down to 4.

pretty sweet killing them so close to home... gotta post a pic of that tanned hide when ya getter back.. oh yeah, HBD...

You might have good luck if you hit it as soon as they cut that corn, if not while it is being cut..

My wife gives me heck because I'll travel a couple of hours or more from home to call and when I get in the house after dark they're howling just outside our window. I tell her I'm saving them for later.
Good story! Quite a roller coaster ride in a short time.

Nice work Russ!

I have 23 Coyotes in my freezer, Fur buyer doesn't come down from Alliance until the 22nd.

Got 1 more weekend to hunt, although only room for 1 or 2 coyotes:-(

Last weekend I shot 8 and my buddy shot 2 and missed many more.

Gotta save some for seed you know.............................

Wow Mr P, that's stacking them up! Well I'll come down and bring back whatever coyotes we get lol!

Chance said the furs aren't quite ready but are getting close and he is buying.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARWow Mr P, that's stacking them up! Well I'll come down and bring back whatever coyotes we get lol!

Chance said the furs aren't quite ready but are getting close and he is buying.

He will be here the 22nd.

Get 1 more weekend without my girls before he comes.

Hope to add to the pile;-)

Back