.223 40 gr coyote

Jmo

Ok what is everyone's experience with 40 gr loads on coyotes. What is your favorite 40 gr bullet if you like this load?

I'm in the same boat as you. My tc dimension(223) shoots the fiocchi 40gr vmax load into one ragged hole. I going to see if I can get the Nosler 40 bt to shoot the same and try them first,they have a tougher jacket.

40 Vmax is accurate and works awesome on coyotes from a bolt 26" barrel. Hits like lightning with instant DRTs, rarely any damage other than a pin prick entry. Massive internal damage to the vitals.

Also awesome from a 16" AR but I have less experience with the AR on coyotes.

On foxes it's usually a mess, but not always. It's less destructive from my 16" AR due to lower velocity. Not ideal for saving fox fur. With a shorter barrel maybe it's on par with a 204 which is still too much gun.

I don't shoot Fox(anymore) with centerfire larger then 17 rem. I use copper plated bb loads when possible. Any sewing behind the ears to the hips devalues a pelt. The berger 25 gr match varmint is great for Fox and raccoon.

Last edited:
I got the sierra 40 gr HP to shoot really well out of my savage 223 but never used it on coyotes. After a bunch of reading on them, they are supposed to be a tough little bullet. I decided to go with the 50 gr NBT for a bit more weight but in the accuracy department, the sierra didn't give anything up to the 50 gr.

Over the years, I've tried many bullets from various manufacturers and various weights as well.

I have settled on 55gr bullets out of my 222Remmag. This year (and last year), I am using the Sierra 55gr Gameking, SPBT, which I have used in the past. Very very accurate, and it works quite well.

In general, I found the softpoints, of any weight, to kill a bit slower, than a plastic tipped bullet, probably due to the violent and rapid expansion/fragmentation of the tipped bullets.

With a softpoint, the front end goes down, then the back end, followed by, maybe, a tail wave.

With the tipped bullets, they usually get all rigid, like and ironing board, and tip over.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

Back