6mm Hollow point of choice

shelton573

What brand and weight of hollow point are you all using out of your 243, 6mm Rem, etc. for coyotes? My hunting buddy is wanting to run a mid-weight HP out of his 243 we just finished and I don't have much experience with them. Any info is much appreciated.

Fur friendly is not necessary by the way.

87 Gr. Hornady BTHP shoots and works great on coyotes out of my 243 WSSM and a 6mm Rem. bolt gun.

Regards,
hm

Thanks guys. Been looking at the sierra 85 and the berger 87 vld pretty close. Anyone use that 80 gr berger varmint bullet? I don't know much about their bullets other than their VLDs.

Shelton, why a HP? 80g Nosler Ballistic tip, 80g Sierra Blitz BT, and the 87g Hornady BTHP, 80g Berger.

My favorite load for a 243 is with a 80g Sierra Blitz BT with a very hot load of IMR 4064 at 3400 fps, shoots very tiny groups.

Second favorite would be a tie between a 60g Sierra or 70g bullet, screaming.

Not sure on the hollow point. It's just what he wants to shoot and I told him I would do some research for him on what people prefer. I think its because he runs BTs out of his other rifles and wants to try something different. Thanks for the load info!

Last edited:
80g Sierra Blitz gives the loudest plop on a coyote that I have ever heard, start at 40g of IMr 4064 and work up slowly, fed 210's, bullet just barely off the lands or kissing.

75g Sierra HP is a great coyote bullet also, very accurate bullet at 3400- 3500 fps, IMR 4064 again

I used to have a saying that if a 243 will not shoot a 87g Hornady BTHP with about 37-37.3g of IMR 4064, you had better screw on another barrel. This load may be 3100 fps, maybe.

Originally Posted By: kswaterfowlI ran the 69 gr berger over varget out of my 243, and it was the most fur friendly round that I have shot.

not the first time that I have heard this!

Originally Posted By: bumpI run the 70 grain speer tnt hp in my 6x45, it's deadly on coyotes and accurate.

I like that bullet quite well. I shoot it in a 6BR as well with great results

Back