Latest build complete- 7 saum

smith1559

Been gone for a while (dealing with a move) but this build has been at the smith and I just got it back a few weeks ago. Just in time to put the smack down on some deer. I have been having a hard time with barrel length and a suppressor. If you go to short it kill the performance of the round. So I went with a 7 SAUM witch seem to perform fine in a 22 inch barrel. So here it is:

7mm SAUM
22 inch 1-9 twist Pac-nor barrel fluted
Rem 700 action
McMillan HTG stock with adjustable cheek

So far I have just shot only the factory Nosler 160 accubonds to gather up some brass and they shoot great. Will use them for a while.

Jason

Originally Posted By: getfoxyNice rig.

Considering the HTG Adj myself at the moment.

It's a nice stock, feels good. Real solid to if your floating the barrel. And easily accommodates a sendero contour barrel.

Jason

Originally Posted By: smith1559
7mm SAUM
22 inch 1-9 twist Pac-nor barrel fluted
Rem 700 action
McMillan HTG stock with adjustable cheek

Remmi 700 action, McM stock, NF scope, what's not to like about that setup!!! Very nice and I really like that stock!

Must be the week for 7mm builds getting finished. Got the call yesterday afternoon to come pick up my new 7mm.
thumbup.gif

You know how to make a guy jealous... I've been drooling over a 7mm bolt action for a couple years now but I can't even find a range that maxes out my 260AI.

Jason, Back on Jan of 2002 I took delivery of a Model 7 from the Remington custom shop in 7mmSAUM with the Manlicher stock. It came with the 22 inch barrel which means that the barrel stuck out 2 inches past the stock. After shooting it for several years on various hunts I sent it back to Remington and asked them to take that 2 inches off. I continue to shoot 160 partitions and while my velocity suffered a little the game doesn't know the difference. I'm loading 59.5 grains of H4831SC using Rem 9 1/2 M primers seating the bullets OAL at 2.8.
A recent chrono test of 7 rounds yielded a velocity avg of 2694 with an SD of 12. My most memorable shot was at a Steenbuck at 315 yds. Hogs and Elk just fall down dead. I know the industry has basically written this round off but I think its a winner.

I like the stock you are using on your build it looks like it should be very comfortable and easy to shoot.
Doug

My plan is to use H4831sc that seems to be the powder for this round. I hope to get some Barnes shooting out of it before to long. I can't wait to play with it after hunting season. i researched a lot before building this one. Seems like people that try the round, love it. Thanks for the info to.

Jason

Originally Posted By: smith1559My plan is to use H4831sc.

Jason

Jason, 4831 is great powder but I'd consider giving RL26 a try as well, it'll likely give you a little more performance than the 4831. I've read where guys are getting around 3000fps with 180's using RL26.

Back