T/C venture predator 22-250 ammo selection

Ryan474

Hey fellow fur takers I got a few questions hopefully some of you can help me out! Recently just got a t/c 22-250 and trying to find which ammo it likes. I went out yesterday and was shooting the horandy 55gr vmax and had decent luck.. Groups about 1.5inch at 100 yards. I then tried the superformance 50gr horandy and shot very well at 100 and 200 yards with this ammo.
I went out to 300 yards and could not even get somewhat of a group on the paper!
Mind you that I did take my time and let the barrel cool between shots and even bore snaked the barrel after about each 5 shots.
Also, it was dead calm with no wind to speak of...
Has anyone else had this trouble or maybe better luck with another brand?
I know my girlfriends T/c in 7mm-08 loves remington core-lok and no other brands.. maybe this is the case with my 22-250?

Mine shoots the cheap Winchester 45gr JHP very well. I have only ever had one coyote run off and that's because of a poor shot. They come in a 40 round box. Have used them for over 3 years with great success. Sometimes the price doesn't always mean it's the best.

Last edited:
^^^^This. When I had 250's the good ole white box 40 round value packs found at your local friendly Walmart always shot and killed good in the ones I had.

My T/C Venture really likes Hornady 50g Vmax Superformance factory ammo.
Worked on finding 60, 62,65 g handloads it would stabilize, but nothing seemed as good as those 50g factory loads.
Took it out to 400 yards a couple times and easily stayed at or under 1 moa.
Measured 3831 fps with 10.6 sd on them.

I have the standard Venture in 22-250 (not the Predator) Tried 5 or 6 different boxes of factory ammo, including the Hornady 55 grain Vmax, and it shot all of them under an inch. Shoots my 50 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip hand loads at 1/4" or under. I believe all the Ventures come with an MOA guarantee. If your rifle won't live up to that with quality factory ammo, then you should contact them and have them fix it.

My predator shoots the 50 gr. superformance factory ammo. real good,but shoots great with 55 gr. serria HPBT ' s loaded with varget or 4320 .Shoots v max loads pretty good.

I will try and shoot the 50grain superformance horandy tomorrow and shoot at 300 yards right away and see what happens.. Is anyone else having to wait a bit to shoot between rounds and let the barrel cool down or are you guts getting tight groups shooting four or five rounds one after another?

Varget and 50gr vmax bullets worked really well in my Predator Venture T/C

it never really did like the factory loads, but would become a tac driving betty with a little slower 50 gr vmax. The rifle twist rate doesn't do well with heavier bullets, so that is most likely why everyone's response here is within the same weight.

Do you hand load? you could try some 50s and even test some 40s and see what kind of results you get.

I do not hand load.. The 50grain superformance do seem to work the best but still just dont have to tight pattern I was hoping for at 300yards..

Back