NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

Unless anyone knows of any better loads on the market that I should try or chokes I should try I believe I'm going to stick with what I have and just order a case of the varmint x

@Baucom84, I love that 590!

Here's a representative target of what I'm averaging with the VarmintX through my 835 and Carlson's Coyote choke. I'm not impressed with it and think the choke needs to open a little. This is 40 yards and a 10" circle.

Last edited:
Thank you I truly love the gun myself and is what made me decide to make it a dedicated coyote gun I guess I just keep wanting it to pattern the best it can and I also have to consider at what point would it be so tight that it would be like shooting a rifle at close range and defeat the purpose of a scattergun

Did a short test today with the Win Varmint X BB. I purchased a Carlsons Long Beard XR choke to try with it since its designed for the shot lock technology. First shot was from 40 yards. For some reason my gun tends to pattern this load to the right at this distance with each choke I've tried, but this choke was better and I got 25 pellets in the 12" circle mostly to the right of center. A second shot from 30 yards was pretty effective. I only had one target and forgot to take a picture after the first shot but here's a picture after 2 shots, 1 @ 40 and 1 @ 30. That string in the white in the lower right of the circle was from the first shot @ 40.

Remington 870 Express 12 gauge, 21" barrel, Carlsons Long Beard XR .660 choke, Win Varmint X 3" BB

Killed a dog about a week ago with the 20" 835 and Carlson's coyote choke with Winchester 3" heavy weight coyote B.

It was at the long end of my range, about 45 yards, and on the run. It had just killed a chicken the day before and was in the yard earlier in the day again. We were just finishing dinner and I had been watching out the back door and saw it creeping up behind the chicken coop. I had the gun in the corner so I headed out and got as close as I could before it bolted. It was a snap shot but it rolled and then ran about 20 yards before it died.

Unfortunately, that load isn't being made anymore. I wouldn't have tried it with the newer VarmintX. Just not confident in the pattern with the choke I have right now.

I have followed and read almost everything out there regarding shotguns and buckshot, especially #4. Based on my limited experience, a lot of patterns but only two different shotguns, I would have to see some of these patterns claimed before I would believe them, but from what I have read it seems more claim good results with the Mossberg than any other shotgun, I know my Beretta just plain does not like buckshot.

Remember, at 45 yards and over, Lead BB's will roll them if not head shot. If you see one flopp'en up and down, he may be a brain shot. Your call on pulling the trigger again.

Lead BB's are good for putting them on the ground for a follow up shot.

Always be looking for that guys buddy that you just hammered! Always! They race each other to the call!

Never stand up when you shoot, and quietly and deliberately put more shells in your shotgun...quietly. XXX it, don't stand up!

Jacking a pump after the shot is loud, there may be more coming in!

Last edited:
I posted this in the reloading section, but just realized, it might kinda belong here too. So, straight copy and paste of my post in reloading:
------------------------------------------

I quite recently got started hand loading shot shells. Many thanks to Bob and Keith for their help and advice! Today I fired my own shotgun loads for the first time.

Did some pattern testing. Shot three loads, HS BB, lead T and nickel plated F, through three chokes each, Mod, Turkey Extra Full and Dead Coyote.

Using my 870 Express 12 gauge, at 40 yards. All 3" loads. Shooting standing up on my hind legs. Wind was blowing pretty good.

Circles are 10". Drawn around the densest part of the pattern after the shot. Figure I'll treat pattern density and getting it centered on point of aim as separate issues.

So, this little chart first. I think having the pellet count, velocity and penetration numbers handy help put everything into context. The data is from the KYP ballistics program.

The "3.7 Gel Yards" column is the distance KYP calculates each load to penetrate 3.7" into ballistic gel. The 3.7" is a number Bob came up with based on his experience, as the minimum needed for killing coyote. I'm just running with it
smile.gif

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-18%20at%201.19.43%20PM.png

Skipping right to the chase! The 1-3/4 oz. NP F shot with a Dead Coyote choke was the clear winner of the day.

20161030_Rem%20870_Pattern%20Testing-11W.jpg

That's 27 pellets in the 10" circle. 45 pellets hit the 24"x24" backer. There are 49 pellets in the load. So, 55% of the pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards, that should rug out a coyote pretty good!

I know, one shot, hardly qualifies as data. Need to shoot four or five in a row, and see what the shot to shot variation is like. But, for a variety of reasons, that wasn't the plan today. One shot of each load and each choke was all I was good for this time.

Still, that F shot load is showing some real promise.

This was the best pattern with 1-1/2 oz. of Hevi-shot BB, with a Rem. Turkey Extra Full extended choke. I was disappointed in the pattern with this load and the Mod choke - will do a more thorough comparison in the future though. But with 32 out of 72 (44%) in the 10" circle it also looks like a coyote killer. I noticed this load does hit low, compared to the others too. A good thing to find out, as I will be trying these on coyote.

20161030_Rem%20870_Pattern%20Testing-7W.jpg

And this was as good as I could do with 1-1/2 oz. of lead T shot, with the DC choke. With 18 of 51 pellets in the circle (35%) I think it's the least impressive of the three loads, but still a definitely serviceable coyote load.

20161030_Rem%20870_Pattern%20Testing-12W.jpg

Next up will be killing a few coyotes with each
laugh.gif

- DAA

Originally Posted By: parsonI have followed and read almost everything out there regarding shotguns and buckshot, especially #4. Based on my limited experience, a lot of patterns but only two different shotguns, I would have to see some of these patterns claimed before I would believe them, but from what I have read it seems more claim good results with the Mossberg than any other shotgun, I know my Beretta just plain does not like buckshot.

Are you specifically looking for #4 buckshot patterns? I haven't had any wonderful patterns with it. My best was 15 pellets in 10" and my worst was 7 I think. I've tried 3 chokes, kinda a 4th but only one shot through that one. I haven't seen any patterns I'd be confident in. I have had very nice patterns with the heavy weight B however.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanRemember, at 45 yards and over, Lead BB's will roll them if not head shot. If you see one flopp'en up and down, he may be a brain shot. Your call on pulling the trigger again.

Lead BB's are good for putting them on the ground for a follow up shot.

Always be looking for that guys buddy that you just hammered! Always! They race each other to the call!

Never stand up when you shoot, and quietly and deliberately put more shells in your shotgun...quietly. XXX it, don't stand up!

Jacking a pump after the shot is loud, there may be more coming in!

Good advice, and in my case, there have been two hunting my chickens alternately showing up about every other day. It's been difficult trying to keep up with them. My set up is about as good as one could hope for, I can call from my kitchen table! Lol, but the side effect is that I have to open the door and try to close a little distance. But I do keep a few shells loaded.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I love seeing those patterns and noting the point of impact vs. point of aim variations. I'm always interested in the guys that tote a shotgun out hunting that have never patterned their gun. They miss or wound and blame the gun or load.

Originally Posted By: Rossignol@DAA, nice work, I like the way that heavy BB looks! I'd love to get my hands on those but I don't reload and the hevishot is $$$!

Check out the below links for the old Remington Hevi-Shot that Natchez has. You can reload 1-1/2 oz loads for 66% less than you can buy Hevi-Shot Goose loads or Dead Coyote loads for. The #2 shot runs a little big so it would work on coyotes.

https://www.natchezss.com/hevi-shot-2-10lb-bulk.html

https://www.natchezss.com/hevi-shot-bb-10lb-bulk.html

First kill with my own handloads.

untitled-401-2.jpg

The 1-3/4 oz. load of nickel plated F was used. Extra large, extra old male, 38 long steps, had been facing me but was turning as I shot. Dropped on the spot and was still.

Will use the Hevi-shot BB next time.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAFirst kill with my own handloads.

untitled-401-2.jpg

The 1-3/4 oz. load of nickel plated F was used. Extra large, extra old male, 38 long steps, had been facing me but was turning as I shot. Dropped on the spot and was still.

Will use the Hevi-shot BB next time.

- DAA

either that is a HUGE HUGE dog or you have shrunk. the background looks like the edge of a golf course, maybe that is why
thumbup.gif

I've got a question here.

I'm just getting into shotgunning coyotes and I'm looking for an extended choke tube to do it with.

I have a Beretta A400 Xplor Unico that came with Cylinder, Modified and Full Chokes. I'm going to try some Hornady Heavy Magnum BB 3" and pattern to see which choke works best at 40 yards. I see on the box it says recommended for Modified Choke, but I watched Predator Quest and Les Johnson said he was running an extra full choke with this ammo.

Now my question is, if I want to go with an extended choke, is there any way to know which one to buy instead of buying like 8 of them to see which patterns best?

Last edited:
Back