55 or 62 grain in 5.56 for varmints?

Pot Hole

Being relatively new to the AR platform, I am still trying to find the best all-around ammo for hunting varmints. The vast majority of what I hunt is coyotes, and most of my shots are 200 yards and under. I don't reload (yet), so I am shooting factory ammo and my local choices typcally are 55 or 62 grain bullets in 5.56 caliber. I've shot both grain bullets, and under 200 yards both perform pretty well for me in my gun, however, ballistically, I suspect one probably is favored for 'yotes amongst most AR shooters than the other. I understand it's: "what ever shoots best in your gun" - I get that. Initial thoughts is the 55 grain might be better for longer (open) range shots and the 62 for heavily wooded areas (I have both where I hunt).

Any thoughts pro or con with regards to which grain bullet you prefer? I

Are you shooting full metal jacket type ball ammo or hunting ammo?

If running under 200yds, either flavor will work just fine. You would probably see minimal difference in trajectory or performance at that range.

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75Are you shooting full metal jacket type ball ammo or hunting ammo?

If running under 200yds, either flavor will work just fine. You would probably see minimal difference in trajectory or performance at that range.
Hunting ammo, but I am not opposed to trying something else.

No, that's good. Just making sure that you weren't going cheap and just shooting ball ammo. I personally have a couple thousand of the 62gr Fusion soft points that I am working up a load for with H4895. Somewhere around 25.5-26.0gns is showing promise.

If you are running factory ammo I like the Black Hills 60 grain V-MAX for coyotes. These shoot well in my 8 twist Walther barrel.

They come in red box factory new or blue box remanufactured.

Use the ammoseek.com search engine for availability and best price.

Last edited:
Im useing Hornaday 55 grain vmax that,I reload with CFE223 or H4895 powders and I've tested them all summer outta my Ar15 5.56 and they've shoot excellent for me..CFE 223 powder was the best...H4895 doesn't meter good threw my RCBS hopper at all.I was getting 1/4 groups...I also used military brass which was excellent...and FC brass.

Not being a reloader, I am forced to shoot factory ammo, hence my interest in the 55 or 62 grain bullets which are widely available in commercially produced ammunition. At some point I hope to reload this caliber, but for now I am stuck shooting factory stuff.

Last edited:
Generally the heavier bullets have better BCs depending on the type of bullet, but 7 grains will not matter in a wooded vs open field situation. The difference would be negligible. Shoot either one. I shoot 55gr FMJ at the range and 55gr Vmax for hunting because both are plentiful.

Sounds like you are asking about the FMJ and steel penetrator ammo. None of it is good for varmints. Get some expanding ammunition.

Coyote isn't going to care if it's 55 or 62 grain. But like stated you want an expanding projectile not a FMJ. So look at any soft-points or V-Max type projectiles. I'm the type that prefers the flavor of cheap. Less spent on ammo means more you can buy, more you can practice, and more you can spend on other components. Again, just has to be minute of coyote not 1/2" MOA at 300 yards that some might expect out of a bench gun.

Here's an example of what I'd look for in my coyote hunting ammo...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/953830...-tipped-varmint

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/183620...nted-soft-point

https://www.freedommunitions.com/ammunition/rifle/223-remington/223-40-gr-v-max-reman.html

Fellas, I really appreciate the replies.

Yes I am talking about over-the-counter hunting ammo and not FMJ or steel penetrating bullets. Kind of like what Hibs said above, the less I spend on ammo, the more I can spend on other "toys". Not a cheap skate by no means, but I'm looking for ammo I can get at most "big box" stores that should shoot reasonably well in my AR. For me, the most common loads I am seeing have either 55 or 62 grain bullets in them. With most of my shots under 200 yards, it may not make much difference between 55 or 62 grains, but most of you have probably shot way more 5.56 ammo than I have, so I wanted to lean on some of you for your savvy with regards to some of the more commonly found ammunition. Maybe this is overkill and I should just shoot what I can find at that distance, but I figured some of you had come across a "sweet" load that you might want to share.

Well here it is....Hornady vmax factory loads....you can't beat them...alittle pricey then others.Black hills would be my second choice.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Sounds like you are asking about the FMJ and steel penetrator ammo. None of it is good for varmints. Get some expanding ammunition.

Hunting ammo, per the OP.

Originally Posted By: Pot HoleHunting ammo, but I am not opposed to trying something else.

OP, what are you classifying as varmints?

Also, do not get hung up on the 5.56 headstamp or designation on the box. This is a moot point.

I would grab a few boxes of variety from 50-60+ gr and see what feeds, functions and shoots best in your rifle. That is the only way to determine for sure what is "best" for it.

Back