More Questions

Decashade

So I have been doing some research on night hunting coyotes lately and it seems like something I would like to try. I was wondering if there would be an abundance of glare when calling out the back of a truck, as most truck finishes are shiny, will it scare an incoming predator? How do you keep the light from reflecting off the edges of the truck? I was thinking of calling from the toolbox in my truck, and the rest of the bed or the front of the truck is lit up from the glow of the light. I took my light out and tried it in the driveway. How do you address this issue?

I was also curious how you drive into a stand when calling out of a truck without letting everything know you are there? Do you switch the lights off on the way in, or use a smaller light to just see enough to make it in? Or does it not matter.

Any input would be helpful. Thanks

You can call and kill coyotes from the bed of a truck but will much more proficient by parking, aND then walking into the spot

That is what I was thinking, and I don't mind walking, I have just heard of it being done by quite a few people and was curious how it was accomplished.

Lots of people kill them every night of the week, all night long from their vehicle. My setup is pretty darn effective.

image_zpsffa3xwbc.jpeg

Quit reading about it and go do it!
thumbup.gif

Ive been calling a for a while now, More in daytime than night, but still yet, I have this inside screaming feeling when I drive into a stand, that EVERY coyote within a mile knows Im there now. We have called coyotes very close to the truck and if we were sitting in the truck, could have shot them from the truck, so it does work. How many will you scare off? I dunno. On a dark night, it may be just as effective as walking in, I dont know for sure........

To me, the biggest issue is head lights while driving in to your stand. They can see your lights from a hundred miles off, and if you drive right in to your stand with lights on, to me, that is gonna scare a lot of dogs. We drive in with a small green light in front of the truck so the head lights arent blasting light all over. It may not work like that for everyone, but that is what we do. Then, we will normally set up not too far from the truck. At night, we drive closer to our stands, than the day. Normally, trying to put at least one lil hill or knob between the truck and the country we are calling if possible.

Some of the ranches we hunt are very flat so hiding the truck is not possible. So, we will park a couple hundred yards from where we are calling, and that is all we can do. Again, we drive in with a red/green light so our head lights are not on.....right or wrong, thats what we do.....Id love to hear how others do it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerIve been calling a for a while now, More in daytime than night, but still yet, I have this inside screaming feeling when I drive into a stand, that EVERY coyote within a mile knows Im there now. We have called coyotes very close to the truck and if we were sitting in the truck, could have shot them from the truck, so it does work. How many will you scare off? I dunno. On a dark night, it may be just as effective as walking in, I dont know for sure........

To me, the biggest issue is head lights while driving in to your stand. They can see your lights from a hundred miles off, and if you drive right in to your stand with lights on, to me, that is gonna scare a lot of dogs. We drive in with a small green light in front of the truck so the head lights arent blasting light all over. It may not work like that for everyone, but that is what we do. Then, we will normally set up not too far from the truck. At night, we drive closer to our stands, than the day. Normally, trying to put at least one lil hill or knob between the truck and the country we are calling if possible.

Some of the ranches we hunt are very flat so hiding the truck is not possible. So, we will park a couple hundred yards from where we are calling, and that is all we can do. Again, we drive in with a red/green light so our head lights are not on.....right or wrong, thats what we do.....Id love to hear how others do it!
I have thought about taping that red plastic over my head lights All I need is a little light to see the path in .I mostly hunt private lands.I got my wicked light in the mail yesterday maybe I will try it tonight.

Back