Opinions on new beam scale

shelton573

I have been using a Lee Safety Scale for a few years now with good enough results. Recently I upgraded my press to a Rock Chucker Supreme and got to thinking about upgrading my scale. I have been looking at the RCBS 505 and 1010. I am curious what your all's opinion is on these scales and which is best. I can pick up the 505 for $50 on ebay and the 1010 for $100.

Any opinions on these two scales or any other brand of scale for that matter is much appreciated. Thanks.

depending on the type of shooting - and basically unless you're doing precision rifle shooting - look at a RCBS chargemaster. The accuracy is usually respectable for most loading, and because its weighing the charges for you while you're seating & putting the other finishing touches on your loads (qc checks, crimping, etc) it can save quite a bit of time.

i know its quite a bit more than you're talking about spending, but if you catch the sales, you can put one on your bench (after rebate) for $250 or a little under.

an automated dispenser was one of the first upgrades i made to my reloading kit, and i started off with the red model, but got a real lemon. Thankfully cabela's has a great return policy and when the chargemaster went on sale two weeks later, i took it back and upgraded.

its still probably the single most used item, other than my press, that i've added to my reloading kit!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Plant.Onedepending on the type of shooting - and basically unless you're doing precision rifle shooting - look at a DPMS chargemaster.

was scratching my head on that for a second. at about the same time i realized i had fleas i figured out what you did there.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Plant.Onedepending on the type of shooting - and basically unless you're doing precision rifle shooting - look at a DPMS chargemaster.

was scratching my head on that for a second. at about the same time i realized i had fleas i figured out what you did there.

d'oh. being dyslexic sucks sometimes... i had to double read it to catch it too... hahah
blushing.gif
blushing.gif

I use an older RCBS 1010 when they were made in New Jersey and it has performed flawlessly but I hear the newer ones are made offshore and not up to the older 1010's standards.

I have two 505's which I use, and a Lee Safety "Scale" which I don't use any more.

Really like the 505, sometimes wish one of them was a 1010, but I'm happy with the 505's.

I used a Lee scale once or twice and did not like it, got a 505 and like it much better, easier to set to the desired weight and to see the pointer. My 505 seems to not "move" until" I'm almost at the desired/selected weight, and it's easy to overshoot, but it's still better than the Lee IMO.

Some people feel that the 3 different settings on the 505 are a hindrance and could lead to mistakes when using the scale, such as easy to move one of the settings but I've not had any issues in my limited experience with the 505. Reading some of the negatives just made me be more aware of the possiblities I had not been aware of.

I pieced together my reloading kit when I got started. I was told by a guy that reloads a ton of pistol rounds the Dillon scale was the way to go. I figured if he can pick tenths of a grain at under 3 gr it should do well with rifle charges. He was right, I absolutely love my Dillon scale. If it was damaged, they'd probably just send me a new one but if they didn't I would buy another.... That said I really want a Chargemaster!

I had been sharing a RCBS 10-10 with a friend and picked up a used one in perfect shape at a gun show for $60. and both are good scales but if weighing a large batch it gets tiring. A friend picked up a used RCBS Chargemaster in a pawn shop for $110. without a power cord that was easily replaced, and I really like it. I have had excellent support from RCBS for all of my other needs.

I wanted a RCBS Chargemaster but was hesitant because of the price so i bought a Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Charger for $169. from Natchez and it works as well as the RCBS.

Back