Raccoon Pesting Night Vision

Originally Posted By: IllinoiscoyoteWhat you baiting with?

Last year I started by using apples, pears, corn on the cob but found that the skunks and rats were eating/stealing most of the bait. So I tried cat food and marshmallows.
The rats and cats were eating the cat food but no one but the raccoons would eat the marshmallows. The raccoons loved the cat food, but the rats would steal it and hide it before the coons got there. The coons would spend a lot of time smelling the ground where the cat food used to be. I had to get the bait up off the ground so the cats and rats couldn't get to it. I put a piece of RE-BAR in the ground and set a section of 4'' dia thin wall drain pipe on the rod and put many types of baits in that. The rats would climb the re-bar, so I slipped a 18'' chunk of pvc pipe over that to stop the rats from climbing up to get in. Then I tried marshmallows and corn with cat food as the smell lure. They loved it and the rats and cat couldn't get in to the feeder just the hands of the coons. I finely got rid of the marshmallows and used kitten food because it takes longer for them to fill up. They would hang around longer for me to get to the rifle to get a shot while they are stuffing their little coon face.
So, long story short, try cat or kitten food. I see another guy on YT using some type of fish patty. he's putting that in a wire frame cage and hanging it from a tree off the ground. I see the coons playing with that in his videos.
This will give you a place to start. Speaking of fish, I bought some fish scent lure from the trapping store and spread that around. It got the coons attention alright. But I would also get 8 cats on the trail cam videos on the nights I did that. Looked like they were bussing in cats from the city every night I put out the fish scent lure.
CH

i like to use canned catfood to lure them in

open it just enough so they can smell it, but nobody can eat it. i usually make 3 cuts around the lid rougly 1/4 of the can rim length each, and then fold them up like 1/4". this will usually keep them busy for a few mins trying to get into the can too before they get bored and wander off.

if you watch for clearance sales, cat food can be had for usually around 25 cents a can or less and since they cant get it out of the can that way, a single can will get you a whole night of baiting. last time i picked some up it was $0.18 per can and i bought about 50 cans.

if its one of the more stew like recipes, i do drizzle some of the liquid around on the ground as further attractant. if possible i grab as much of this type of food as i can when i'm buying. if nothing else is available, just regular can food works too. they're both plenty stinky and will attract - especially if theres a nice 5mph breeze to move it around for you too
smile.gif

ive been using that as raccoon, opossum and skunk bait for a quite a while now. i even get the occasional fox to wander in and give a sniff
smile.gif

i do the same thing with canned tuna. the packed in oil stuff is stinkier and seems to do better than the canned in water, doubly so when you drizzle the oil in a long lineon the ground. i used to do this to lure them out of the barns and draw them out under the yard light. just drip a line of tuna oil from my intended bait/kill site towards the barn we're having trouble with and stretch it out as far as possible. 50-60' is usually pretty easy if you're careful with your pour, you can get longer if you drip it every foot or so.

i find it pays to wander past the clearance rack at your grocery and pet supply stores
smile.gif

I went through a lot of this last year. I put the bait like the tuna can near the ground. But the rats and raccoons just took it. Late last year, I started placing the bait UP off the ground. Once I got to the point where the feeder was up high, the rats couldn't get in to take it. only the coons can get to the food now. Yet ironically, The coons have tried to steal the whole feeder. If you notice in my video, I have a string tied to the fence so the coons can't lift the feeder OFF the re-bar. They keep trying to steal the whole thing and run off with it. It takes me 60 to 80 seconds to get to the rifle, turn on the scope cam, turn on the IR light and in that time the rotten buggers try to run off with the whole feeder. I shot 30 coons this year and I think I'm getting ahead of the curve now. I've only seen 3 large wise coons and they only pass through and try to grab a hand full then run off before I can get a shot. Using kitten food slows them down a bit.
CH

yours are apparently more resourceful/ambitious than the ones around us.

which i suppose is just a nice way of saying the ones around our farm are just lazy
grin.gif

which thankfully allows me to be lazy about how i bait
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Plant.Oneyours are apparently more resourceful/ambitious than the ones around us.

which i suppose is just a nice way of saying the ones around our farm are just lazy
grin.gif

which thankfully allows me to be lazy about how i bait
smile.gif

I'll have to say, it's been a wild and woolly time trying to out smart these chicken killers. They are like a 15 pound rat and they get into everything. It's been a year of trying this and that to find a way to set them up.

The tuna fish scent "IS" a good idea. I've been doing the same thing with fish oil scent that I bought at the trapping store. It drive the cats crazy. But it does draw the coons in too.

Now that I have the cat food up off the ground and the coons need to stick there hand in a hole to get it, things have gone much better. The coons move around go much, standing at the feeder to get food gives me time to aim. I've had fun playing with them.
Plus I'm keeping there numbers down.
CH

Back