6x45

whispig

so...I have a couple of questions if you all would indulge. What is so great about this cartridge? I have several ar's, 300 bo, 6.5 grendel, 223 wylde so why would/should I think about getting a 6x45? If I do, what glass and is it worth suppressing? I have also been thinking/looking at the 25dti. any thoughts. I would be using it for anything from g-hogs to deer to coyotes to crows. Any help at all would be great.
Thank you, whislpig

The big thing for me is bullet choice and the ability to shoot a heavier 6MM bullet at velocities of the lighter 223 pills. More energy on target is a good thing on these 223 based rounds that can reach out.

I've shot them for a quarter century on PD's and in 3Gun matches. Superb accuracy that has whacked more than a few rodents and put plenty of wood on the mantel in run and gun plus my sniper matches I enjoy.

Greg

besides bullet selection and the BC's that come with it, the availability of easily convertible brass is a big perk. just punch a 223 or 5.56 case through a 6x45 die and you're done.

add that onto the basically 'just change the barrel' simplicity of the upper build... and its a beautiful thing.

its one of the calibers on my to-do list at some point, for the reasons mentioned above.

I'm planning to get on the 6x45 train, as soon as I can. I just finished a lightweight carbine build for the wife, so the "fun fun" is temporarily running on E. Soon as I can get it replenished, I'll be barrel shopping! Hopefully the pre-election sales surge won't affect availability!

you guys are awesome. Thank you. One more... who makes the best barrel? DTI? I have read nothing but good, no great things about him. Barrell length for best ballistics? and what twist for say 75-90 grainers...

Give Ritch a call^^^^.
Yup 22" 1/9" will spit everything from 55-95 g into small holes at 100 yds and no issues on coyote at 600 yards, deer sized to 400 yards.
Ive built 9 6x45s with BHW barrels, all very accurate, low recoil sweet shooting rigs.
Selection of bullets cant be much better either.

Originally Posted By: whispigyou guys are awesome. Thank you. One more... who makes the best barrel? DTI? I have read nothing but good, no great things about him. Barrell length for best ballistics? and what twist for say 75-90 grainers...

Check out Jim at apache gun works. Had jim chamber me a 22" 6x45 medium sporter barrel for my savage and this thing with the first grouping shot under 1/2 moa at 100yards. I was very impressed.

Last edited:
I love my 18" 6x45. Always been a 6mm fan. Have owned several 243 win, built a 6x6.8 AR, 243 WSSM AR, and 6x284 bolt gun. This 6x45 is definitely the most fun. I shoot 60gr sierra for critters and have 85gr sierra loaded for deer

I had two of the in AR's and they were some very accurate guns. My 16" P3 was prolly one of my most accurate consistantly. I think they are a pretty good choice. I sold all mine when Kansas dropped the 6mm as the minimum caliber to hunt deer with. I have found that a 62 or 70 grain .224 TSX works just as well or better than the 85 grain bullets offered in 6mm. But thats just me. My 6x45 loved 70 grain bullets the best but it would give about 150 fps faster MV's with a 58 grain 6mm compared to my .223's with 55 grain bullets.

Originally Posted By: MPFDI had two of the in AR's and they were some very accurate guns. My 16" P3 was prolly one of my most accurate consistantly. I think they are a pretty good choice. I sold all mine when Kansas dropped the 6mm as the minimum caliber to hunt deer with. I have found that a 62 or 70 grain .224 TSX works just as well or better than the 85 grain bullets offered in 6mm. But thats just me. My 6x45 loved 70 grain bullets the best but it would give about 150 fps faster MV's with a 58 grain 6mm compared to my .223's with 55 grain bullets.

How did the 85 do on deer? Most people I talk to about the 6x45 and deer are shooting much lighter deer than we have in Indiana ( my last 6 bucks have weighed 226-260lbs dressed). I really considered the 80gr ttsx but plan on using my 450 mostly

Built my first 6x45 with an 18" BHW barrel almost 10 years ago. Still one of the most accurate rifles I own. One thing I would add to this is, the 2 6x45's I have built have been really easy to load for. They both shot everything well....60gr HP, 70gr SMK, 75gr, VMAX and 85gr SGK. IME, if you couldnt get those to shoot, you simply can't run a press. These AR's in 6x45 led me to my first bolt rifle this year.

Originally Posted By: yotehunter243
How did the 85 do on deer? Most people I talk to about the 6x45 and deer are shooting much lighter deer than we have in Indiana ( my last 6 bucks have weighed 226-260lbs dressed). I really considered the 80gr ttsx but plan on using my 450 mostly

Jackets of 85 grain Gamekings seperated and it didn't pass all the way through. An 85 grain Barnes prolly would have, but barnes recommends shooting light for caliber bullets to increase speed for better opening. I don't feel like 85 grains is a light for caliber bullet for a .223 case, a 62 grain Barnes passes all the way through and leaves a very nice wound channel and a good blood trail. I honestly had better luck with 70 grain Sierra Match Kings on deer in my 6x45 then I did Gamekings. In my .243 I lost a big body buck to a Gameking that exploded on impact and didn't penetrate. I know this cause he lived and I shot him the next year with my bow, found copper jacket shards all over in his shoulder and brisket.

Last edited:
thanks again guys... if you would once more. What about the 25 dti vs the 6x45? pros? cons? I am leaning more toward the 6x45...

Originally Posted By: whispigthanks again guys... if you would once more. What about the 25 dti vs the 6x45? pros? cons? I am leaning more toward the 6x45...

Apples and oranges. The 25 is of course higher case capacity it will have about 150 to 200 fps more for same same weight. It would be a bit better for bigger game at longer range. Brass quality in the 6.8 case is less and more expensive. Loading data for any of the 6.8 based wildcats while not completely absent is hard to find and little been pressure tested like the 6X45.

Bigger bullet selection on the 6 is higher and if you are not going crazy on bullet weights the BC is superior to the 25's.

Magazine availability is better in the 6 for obvious reasons but that is a minimal hurdle with the 6.8 cases also being able to be shot out of the Grendel magazines with no issues.

Making the 6X45 case is a piece of cake with cheap brass and dies are readily available. The DTI will cost more initially and dies are not as wide spread in distribution.

I have a 25X6.8, ballistic twin to the DTI, and several 6X45's. Both have their place IMHO but day in day out I'll grab the 6MM more often. Of course I also have the 6X6.8 and for me it is the perfect middle ground between the others. I actually like shooting it maybe even a bit more than the 6X45..lol

Greg

you guys are truly awesome. I have a 243 encore that will absolutely shoot... but ONLY 75 grain hornady's. In fact they don't even make the bullet any longer.
frown.gif
I always loved that gun. Still do. Just haven't worked up another load for it. And, with that being said, I believe I just made my CHRISTmas list... Thank all of you again, Mark.
PS: will let you know once its done and have worked up a load.

My 6x45 loves 72 grain Barnes Varminators on top of 25 grains of Benchmark. I've had real good results with that bullet on coyotes.

Originally Posted By: whispigyou guys are truly awesome. I have a 243 encore that will absolutely shoot... but ONLY 75 grain hornady's. In fact they don't even make the bullet any longer.
frown.gif
I always loved that gun. Still do. Just haven't worked up another load for it. And, with that being said, I believe I just made my CHRISTmas list... Thank all of you again, Mark.
PS: will let you know once its done and have worked up a load.

Hey I have 2 or 3 boxes of those 75 gr hdy hp's I might be able to part with. They are a good shooting bullet but I would trade for 58 or 87 vmax if it would help you out any.

My son shot his first deer with a 6x45 and the 85 sierra hpbt game king. Slightly quarting away 70 yards. Bullet went in assume it hit the off shoulder didn't exit. Deer only went about 40 yards but was in a big tall crp field. I found him the next morning. Not one drop of blood. I shot a buck with a 6.8 and a factory ssa 110 sierra pro Hunter load same kinda thing. I'm done with the sierra bullets for hunting. I shot a doe at 40 yards with a 55 nosler BT and it punched a coke can size exit hole.

204ar my buddy swears by those hornady 75hp. Wish they still made them.

They are accurate bullets, my very first rifle was a 243 built off a Mauser action and a Fajen stock, and 75 gr Hdy hp's over 4350 were my first handloads. Those bullets were about $6 a box from Grafs back then.

Back