A morning Like no other.....Wolf Down

Lone Butte

So had opportunity to hit the new acclaimed honey hole I found earlier this year , its been producing experiences every time . And today was no different , I started my hr long drive out , it was light , but the fog was own to the trees. I come over a hill an theres a 4 pt buck running fast , and a wolf in hot pursuit. I shut the truck off an wait patiently to see if any more wolves will pass by but none , so after 15 mins I decide to make my way to my new spot and its pretty thick , low fog , well lets give ut a whirl , visibility is limited an the wind picks up so I throw in the towel . I decide to head out and make my way back as there were a few spots slightly lower in elevation an had better visibility . I get out of the truck and instantly here them . Wolves howling in the fog ridden timber about 1.5 km away . I grab all my gear an find nice spot to set up , I start howling and am getting howls back . But they aren't any closer , so I pack up an move 200 yrds closer to small hill which makes a great vantage point , start howling some more and nothing , So I flip on the FoxPro and start playing some sequences , female coy hwls an some male challenge and pup distress , I keep sequencing these 3 sounds . and then leave it quiet , start again an leave it on pup distress and see movement along ways out , my first thought was coyotes coming is as all I could make out in the fog riddled cutblock was some light colors then the blacks came , a pack of wolves ,they just kept comimg from behind a slash pile, wolf after wolf , greys an blacks. I cannot believe my eyes , my adrenaline soars and they keep coming , they fan out coming in my direction from about 600 yrds . From what my mind was telling me theres ,8 and all are coming . Spread out . Having a hard time focussing on any one . I pick the closest grey one . Its there at 175 yrds and stopped looking , while all the others are coming . I have no choice but to shoot , I drop it an start trying to find another in my cross hairs but they are so spread out and moving around and away I cannot get another clean shot . I cant believe what just happened . Yep it did , I just called in a pack of wolves . This memory is etched in my mind forever , all of them coming from behind that pile in a fog laid cutblock . Was Epic .

The distance is deceiving but they came from the long slash pile couldnt see it very well,but the fog has lifted enough .

Small female

I was using rem 700 22-250 , 55 grn sp, I will be upsizing in the future .

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Way to go Lone Butte!

Great story and pictures!

Good job on shooting the first one that stopped in range!

If wolves are like coyotes, when you get greedy you may not get any of them. LOL

That is pretty cool that playing those three coyote sounds back to back, over and over worked on the wolves like it does on coyotes.

Congratulations on calling in and getting that wolf Lone Butte!

Nicely done. Good job not getting excited and doing the "flock shoot", and make the kill. Easy to get carried away and end up with nothing.

Last edited:
Took a little while for me to cool down. Half hr , still pretty excited. Was my greatest hunting experience to date. Factory hornady ammo , 55 grain sp , i am looking to upsize rifles for this just not sure which caliber, I love my 22-250 but i felt outgunned when the all came out .

Last edited:
Back