204 Ruger load for coyotes?

rudymontana

Bought a 204 Ruger to use for calling coyotes. Tried to find information on forum. I know this has been talked about many times. Anyone help with this???? Rudy

I shot out a couple of them after their introduction. One savage and one Remington. The heavies are your friend if you don't want splashes, although there was no 35 Berger then.... and it may work just fine, according to reports.

The 35gr Bergers seem to work pretty well with either the 1/12 or 1/10 twist barrels...All my .204s have been 1/12 and as long as I don't try to go over 40gr, most will shoot fine with the right powder/primer combination...Every barrel/chamber seems to have it's own preference, so you will need to be willing to experiment and do some research...I got lucky, as my CZ and AR both seem to like the same load combination....I've used the same powder/primer combination since 2007 and never found a real reason to change, as long as supplies are on hand..

Pushing 40 grain noslers w 8208 I haven't had a runoff yet. Of course I haven't killed thousands yet but the ones I have shot have dropped

Thanks everyone for information. I bought some 35gr Berger FBHP to work up for coyotes. Also looking at the Sierra HP and Armageddon HP. I will be busy for a while. DR.J Twist is 1:12 I called Howa to confirm. It is a Howa Mini. Rudy

Last edited:
35gr. Bergers, 37gr. Blackhole bullets, or 34gr. Varmint Nightmare. IMR8208, H4895, and Remington 7 1/2 Primers. Any of this combination works great in mine.
The Varmint Nightmare Extreme ( Nosler bullet sold by Midsouth Shooters Supply) works well enough that it is all I use any more.

I run 35 Bergers at 3700 in my browning x bolt , 3840 outta my Sako 85 Varmint and 4030 outta my CZ with benchmark barrel, I load 40 grainers now outta the CZ just cause she was getting a little hard on em. 3700-3900 I haven't had any issues with fur damage on coyotes. H4895, 8208, H322, Benchmark, few of my favourite powders in 204.

I hit one today with a 35 gr Berger. The bullet left a hole like it had been hit by a 338. First time I have had this happen with these bullets. It was ranged after the fact at 92 yards.

Originally Posted By: BergmanI run 35 Bergers at 3700 in my browning x bolt , 3840 outta my Sako 85 Varmint and 4030 outta my CZ with benchmark barrel, I load 40 grainers now outta the CZ just cause she was getting a little hard on em. 3700-3900 I haven't had any issues with fur damage on coyotes. H4895, 8208, H322, Benchmark, few of my favourite powders in 204.

Thank you! I purchased some 35 Bergers after all the positive reviews. I will have no problem keeping velocities in that range. My #1 priority is accuracy followed closely by fur friendliness.

So the 35 gr Bergers are hollow points? I shot a coyote yesterday at 60 yards,with 35 gr berger match flat base hollow point. 3600 fps. It went completely through and the coyote ran 100 yards and I had to do a follow up shot. Didn't hit in the shoulder, just through the ribs. This was with the 204 Ruger, first time out with it.

Last edited:
I have shot hundreds of dogs with 204 and 35 Bergers, in my experience ive never had a dog go one foot with a good shot, even a mid body shot they might make it 60 yards. And always very little fur damage, like one or two stitches at most. I prefer front shoulder shot but have dumped lots face on, running, quartering, every possible angle and they have performed. Even shot 3 wolves with 35 Berger last winter. Here's a few pics.

I shot a Coyote with the 204 using a 35gr. Berger and it jumped into a pond, was the bullet choice bad?
ohmy.gif
...................True story by the way.
grin.gif

Back