Remington 870 Express barrels vs Wingmaster barrels?

Bernie P.

I decided to buy a new barrel for the 870 Ecpress Magnum my father gave me.Pretty much decided the 26" length vent rib Rem-choke would serve me best.Question is would the 26" Wingmaster barrel fit my gun and are they any better polished/smoother in the bore?I really dont care about the bluing on the outside.Just wondering if I can expect better patterns with it or not.Also which choke patterns best with #4 buckshot?

I believe the 3" chambered Express barrels will interchange with the Wingmasters. However, only shoot the shell length printed on the receiver. I think the 2 and 3/4 inch Wingmasters have a shorter ejection port too. I don't think the Supermag barrels will interchange. As far as barrel quality I doubt you wwill find any difference but I shoot a Carlson Dead tube and other turkey chokes when I shoot #4 buck. You will probably will have to just try them to see what your prefers.

Last edited:
The express barrels are the standard weight. Wingmaster barrels are LW and they weigh less. Wingmaster barrels I think are chrome lined, not sure though. Express bbls are not.

for the record, wingmaster barrels are not chrome lined either.

wingmaster barrels will fit express shotguns, and vice versa.

it is a toss up any more as to whether the bores are any better polished on wingmasters vs express models.

I have had really good and really bad of both.

I wouldnt have thought they would fit, though I've never tried myself. Good to know. (I've got a wingmaster). I do prefer the sights on the wingmaster, the white front bead and the middle small bead. Though those probably wouldnt be too hard to have added after the fact...

Back