Coyotes with Iron Sights?

Mikfree

New to the form here. Anyone shoot Coyotes with Irons, on an AR? My Scope I had on my AR Took a dump today and won't hold a zero for the life of it. It has seen thousands of rounds and i guess just couldn't take it anymore. I leave for an elk hunt in a couple days which is costing me a ton of money so buying another scope before i leave is out of the picture since i just bought a new scope for my 300Winmag.

we will be shooting coyotes when not elk hunting on this trip. my scope is under warranty so ill send it back in when im back. I do have a older scope, a deerfield 4-12 that someone gave me a long time ago, and i have no info on it. its still new in the box, should i just try and use this, or use irons? Im accurate out to 100 yards easily with irons, and am confident on my abilities. just not so confident in this scope because i know nothing about it. thanks, and sorry if this is confusing, trying to type this out on a cheap work tablet.

Why not? It's all up to you, if you can hit 'em then it's a dead critter. If you can't shoot iron sights accurately then you have your answer.

My target acquisition time suffers trying to line up the rear and the forward with AR irons so I'd be slapping that deerfield on there. everybody is different though.

Well i guess i can try the scope out and if it doesnt work out i have the iron sights. It just sucks, i went out today to double check zeros on my guns and the AR scope was toast. I was just curious if anyone uses irons, and has good luck with em. I am proficient with them but much prefer a scope/ red dot.

Originally Posted By: jf1073My target acquisition time suffers trying to line up the rear and the forward with AR irons so I'd be slapping that deerfield on there. everybody is different though.

Sounds like you need to figure out how to get a cheek weld on the stock that puts your eye directly behind the rear sight by adding to or taking away from comb height, if possible. The eye will automatically center front sight; put front sight on the target and squeeze.

You'd be surprised at the size of group you can shoot with a properly fitted rifle without any rear sight.

I'm a fine one to talk, been many years since I've been able to see irons, but when I could..........
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: MikfreeNew to the form here. Anyone shoot Coyotes with Irons, on an AR? My Scope I had on my AR Took a dump today and won't hold a zero for the life of it. It has seen thousands of rounds and i guess just couldn't take it anymore.

I remember when I was 5 or 6 coyote hunting with Grandpa, first gun I ever used was his Marlin lever action 30-30 with irons... Nothing wrong it. I need to teach my kids more about irons, it makes you appreciate quality glass A LOT more!

I always use a 1965 Marlin 30-30 with stock sights for coyote. Inside 75 yds is best, but have taken a few at 120+. As said before a good cheek weld is needed. I used to practice many years ago bringing it up with my eyes closed, then open eyes till it was lined up builds muscle memory. Still check every once in a while.

Originally Posted By: jf1073My target acquisition time suffers trying to line up the rear and the forward with AR irons so I'd be slapping that deerfield on there. everybody is different though.

Line up the rear aperture with the front post sight? If you are trying to consciously center the front post/bead in the rear circle opening you're doing it wrong. That's not how to use an aperture sight. A good aperture sight is both fast and precise. Not as much as a proper scope maybe, however it's surprising how close the two can be with a skilled and practiced shooter.

In basic training we shot iron sight m-16s. What worked for me was touching the tip of my nose to the charging handle.. not much time lag between that and optics..

I don't know about this shooting coyotes with open sight, lever action 30-30s...
tongue_smilie.gif

Hanged himself did he? I hear there is a support group in California and Massachusetts for coyotes struggling with depression. Coyote Lives Matter or something like that...
smile.gif

I ended up throwing the Deerfield on just to see how the glass was at the range and honestly for however old this scope is, the glass is pretty decent. Got it dialed in at 110 yards shooting about a 1 inch group so I'm happy with that. Held zero after about 100 rounds today so hopefully she will last me the trip. I guess if anything happens I got the ol irons to shoot. Also finally got my muzzle brake I've been waiting on in the mail today, let's just say people left after my "Evil Gun" came out to play..

Back