Ruger Precision vs Ruger Predator

pyscodog

Aside from a chassis stock on the Precision and the plastic stock on the Predator and the long plastic tube hanging off the back of the bolt on the Precision rifle. What are, if any differences in the two? To me, the actions are the same and so are the bolts. Barrels on the Precision are a bit larger in diameter too. I got a guy slamming me on a Ruger forum telling me that I'm totally wrong. I had both and sold the RPR because I didnt see that much difference aside from the stocks. Been wrong before, I'm sure I can be wrong again.

You didn't notice a difference in the triggers ??

How about the scope rail, think its aluminum on my RAP ?

My shoot'n buddy is still waiting on his RPR while I'm toss'n 6.5C down range with my RAP.
Bedded the boyd's stock on it and its now starting to hit where I aim..

Bob I did notice a better trigger in the RPR and the rail also. But I guess generally speaking they are pretty much the same......only different! LOL

Aside from a few pounds in weight the main thing I noticed is the $800 difference in price!
scared.gif

The RPR is basically an American action built into a chassis. However, it has it's own unique features like accepting some AR parts, multiple magazine patterns, and is a budget rifle to get into PRS shooting. It's a whole different animal setup wise, but functionally similar. If you don't need the it for PRS stuff, the RAP will do just fine for hunting.

I know they are not the same as "exactly" the same but you can tell by looking they are basically built off the same action which is my point. And jcs271, your correct too!

Nobody's mentioned the barrel quality yet.
Wonder if they put more effort into making a heavier quality (production) target barrel in the RPR ?

I bought an RPR in 243 Win then later a RAP in 6.5 CM. After looking them over and shooting both, the RAP actually was a more accurate rifle.....with my handloads and a new stock!! There were so many similarities in the two actions that I decided to sell the RPR. Of course, stocks were different, triggers and the rail on top, but bolts and actual actions were very similar to the point of looking the same. I ended up putting my Predator in a Boyd's thumbhole stock, bedded the action and played with the trigger a little and now have a very accurate rifle on a budget.

Back