22 WMR semi-auto (CZ 512 Tactical)

Darknight

For those who shoot the 22 WMR, what are your favorite semi-auto models? I saw a CZ 512 Tactical in a Cabelas flyer recently. Does anyone have one and like it? I've heard the discontinued Ruger 10/22 in 22 WMR would at times have issues with jamming?
What are your experiences with the different models of semi-autos?

Thanks!
DarkNight

I have one Darknight. It's accurate and very reliable. To me it's the perfect fox gun. I would say though that if you are not going to put a can on it I would just get the regular 512.

Savage is also coming out with a new model, might already be on the shelves. A22, basically looks just like their A17.

Last edited:
I have one and I really like it. I need a short LOP, so the collapsible stock is perfect. I also need the pistol grip (fused right wrist). My Sparrow SS silencer will go on the threaded barrel when I get it out of jail. My not be an issue for you in IL as silencers are illegal there, but maybe in the future it will and could be important for resale. You probably won't sell it once you shoot it though. The 2 stage trigger is a little heavy and takes some getting used to, but the break is crisp. Mine is very accurate for a rim fire with 30 gr Hornady vmaxes and 40 gr CCI Maxi Mag HP's.

I have the standard 512 and use nothing but Remington 40 gr hollow points, my first 22 mag, accurate and way more hitting power then I ever expected

Originally Posted By: DarknightWhat size groups are you getting at 100 yds with these rifles?
Thanks for the input!

They can be very picky as to what works and does not, you may need to try several different brands and wgt. Mine with the Remington hollow point will consitantly be right a 1 in. Under most conditions

Originally Posted By: parsonOriginally Posted By: DarknightWhat size groups are you getting at 100 yds with these rifles?
Thanks for the input!

They can be very picky as to what works and does not, you may need to try several different brands and wgt. Mine with the Remington hollow point will consitantly be right a 1 in. Under most conditions you having any luck finding those Remington hps these days. Definitely in need of a couple boxes.

Mine worked great and was accurate. The trigger is not very good but I was able to lighten it easily and it was much better. I sold it only because 22wmr ammo is so scarce. I replaced it was a 17hmr bolt gun, plenty of ammo. I would also consider the savage, but I would factor a laminate stock into the price. Go read up on rimfire central.

thanks guys. hey cmatera - what do your 100 yd groups look like out of that CZ? Was that you that posted about having problems with your CZ on rimfire central?

It seems the most popular brands of semi-auto 22 wmr rifles are the CZ512, the Remington 597, the Savage A22, the Magnum Research, and the Excel Arms. Are there others I'm missing? I'm looking for accurate and reliable. If any of you have had problems with your 22 WMR's I'd like to hear about it with the hopes of avoiding a lemon! Thanks!

have a buddy that has the excel and I have not heard anything good with his. Jamming issues lack of accuracy. Mine showed up at the house yesterday so I will try to find some daylight that I am not spending in the deer stand to shoot it.

Originally Posted By: danthefoxmanOriginally Posted By: parsonOriginally Posted By: DarknightWhat size groups are you getting at 100 yds with these rifles?
Thanks for the input!

They can be very picky as to what works and does not, you may need to try several different brands and wgt. Mine with the Remington hollow point will consitantly be right a 1 in. Under most conditions you having any luck finding those Remington hps these days. Definitely in need of a couple boxes.

No more, found a dealer with a few and picked up I think 8 boxes and ask if he could get, said mo

Darknight I have the 597 from Remington and it runs trouble free. I use the old Winchester silver box with lead HP as it delivers great accuracy. In addition I find that the Burris 3 x 9 with the ballistic plex is just about perfect with the trajectory of this round.

Have not had time to shoot it at 100 yet, waiting for my farmer to get his crop out of my shooting range. Yes, that was me on RFC. They did some minor tweaks and it runs fine now. I am the oddball who had problems with the function, as per usual.

Back