high altitude coyotes

makaira

what's the highest elevation any of you guys consistently find coyotes? I'm figuring they'll be anywhere the food is but I really don't know. Thanks for the thoughts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

When I go up into the white mountains its 8,000-9,000' and I always see coyotes up there.My guess is if there is a good food base,that's where you'll find wily coyote.take care,daveyboy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

hello, i think elevation is based on the area someone lives. if you lived in laramie wy i think its 7200 feet in town. in the east 7200 ft is a giant mountain. i live at 2400 ft most of my hunting is done in the 3000 to 4500 ft area. when i go above that i notice less rabbits. around here most cattle ranches are in the 2500 to 5000 ft zone thats where we see the most sign & coyotes above that is summer range for cattle. usually where we see cattle theres coyotes around i think the rabbits ranches & cattle equal a food supply for coyotes. we see big deer sometimes at the higher altitudes meaning 5500-7000 ft for example but less coyote sign. i really think rabbits are the bread & butter for coyotes i just don't seem to see as many rabbits high up. these are my observations where i live in s/w idaho. i would imagine it's different in other places. as davey said if there is a food supply then coyotes are probably there. good luck....

I regularly hunted them at Wilkerson Pass (east side of South Park at HWY 24) in Colorado. I'm not sure of the elevation but it was near treeline.

I can't remember seeing coyotes above treeline but other than that I saw them everywhere I looked in Colorado and they usually seemed easy to call.

In my experience the "mountain coyotes" were a lot bigger and more wary than the "plains coyotes".

If you ever find yourself calling them at Wilkerson pass you might want to take a partner to watch your back. There are a lot of cougars in the area too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

$bob$

here is a pic of me and pup at 11000 ft in colo 3 wks ago that pup
was getting some fresh air!
Br0433.jpg
pupdown0434.jpg

I have seen them several times above timberline in CO. Some as high up as 13,000'. I think it's all about food and availability. There's usually marmots, pikas and ptarmigan up there so that would make for good eats.

I think I'd see a lot more of them up there if I drug my old fat butt up there more often!!

PS.. I think Wilkerson is about 8500 to 9000.

Last edited:
I was archery hunting on Sat. and heard and saw sign of a lot of yotes up at 11,000 feet in the Wasatch Mnt. in northern Utah. I learned in collage that dominant pairs will stay up high through out the winter to protect their home ranges. Less dominant yotes will move down with the deer and to avoid the deep snow. My brother-in-law was a snow cat groomer for Solitude Ski Resort, and had several pairs of yotes as pets. When he was grooming at night, he would through them sandwitches and food, and they learned to follow the groomers around. This is when there is 8-10 feet of snow.

Last edited:
Back