Coyote hunting in Maine...

Thanks Mick, I keep going over what I should have done, and it bugs me a bunch. it was very cool having the 2 of them charging in and then mauling the decoy. I'll get them next time. now the thing is to come up with a strategy that will fool them, cause they know who I am now.
good luck to you also hope you have an equally good fall and winter.
don

DSCN0608_zpstcc9ozjo.jpg

got this girl yesterday, it was very cool. I was on a blueberry ground and it was very very windy I decided to quit early and was walking out to get the call when I saw her coming I sat bac down and when she got closer I shot her. just shows that even when it's bad you should hang in there.

Last edited:
WGI_0009_zpswczac0yx.jpg

got this pic over a week ago but haven't seen them again. I got my deer so now I'm back on their trail, hopefully soon.
don

Last edited:
Hey Mainers,
I just put up a new thread here in "Calling In The East" about a Maine hunt. Please check it out.
We held a PM hunt up at my Camps in Eustis every year up to 2010, and then it fizzled out. Im looking to revive that hunt.
Check out the thread and let me know if you are interested.

Free lodging, plenty of bait sites, and we always had a [beeep] of a time!

Don,
Looks like you got a few to take care of; just put a couple of cameras on some new land over in Winslow I just bought. Besides seeing about a 100 turkeys on a walkabout on the land, we cut several coyote trails.

I just moved up here this summer, sounds like I'm pretty close to you guys. I haven't been out calling at all but from asking around it seems like most people bait.

It's quite a stark contrast to what I've been used to out west

Originally Posted By: Redleg84I just moved up here this summer, sounds like I'm pretty close to you guys. I haven't been out calling at all but from asking around it seems like most people bait.

Welcome Redleg!! where are you from out west? Most people bait in Maine because they are not doing it mostly for sport, they are doing it to keep the population down. Our coyotes are deer killing machines and if you haven't heard yet the deer population in the areas away from city and town limits are way down. With baiting most people can watch it right from the home. A baiter will usually out kill the guy calling. For instance I don't bait in cutler, I call and I kill 2 to 3 coyotes in that area every winter, however I know a guy that baits them in the same woods I'm hunting and in 2 years he killed 25 coyotes, way way more then me calling. I hunt over bait with my father in law up in Crosslake its fun in its own way and works, but I much prefer calling them even if I don't call anything out for several hunts. I'm also an opportunist, IF I see a coyote where I can legal shoot it I do without hesitation. Two summers ago on two different occasions I shot coyotes with my glock 27 and glock 19 while riding my ATV. I check my grandfather's field every night on my way to work and again in the morning on my way home and when I catch a coyote in the field he gets a lead diet as long as I don't FUBAR it up. I use to trap them but I don't have the time for that anymore.

I wish you the best of luck!! now get out there calling and help some deer out!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CutleryotehunterOriginally Posted By: Redleg84I just moved up here this summer, sounds like I'm pretty close to you guys. I haven't been out calling at all but from asking around it seems like most people bait.

Welcome Redleg!! where are you from out west? Most people bait in Maine because they are not doing it mostly for sport, they are doing it to keep the population down. Our coyotes are deer killing machines and if you haven't heard yet the deer population in the areas away from city and town limits are way down. With baiting most people can watch it right from the home. A baiter will usually out kill the guy calling. For instance I don't bait in cutler, I call and I kill 2 to 3 coyotes in that area every winter, however I know a guy that baits them in the same woods I'm hunting and in 2 years he killed 25 coyotes, way way more then me calling. I hunt over bait with my father in law up in Crosslake its fun in its own way and works, but I much prefer calling them even if I don't call anything out for several hunts. I'm also an opportunist, IF I see a coyote where I can legal shoot it I do without hesitation. Two summers ago on two different occasions I shot coyotes with my glock 27 and glock 19 while riding my ATV. I check my grandfather's field every night on my way to work and again in the morning on my way home and when I catch a coyote in the field he gets a lead diet as long as I don't FUBAR it up. I use to trap them but I don't have the time for that anymore.

I wish you the best of luck!! now get out there calling and help some deer out!!!

I moved up here from Arizona. I've never used bait before, but I understand why people do. The areas that are able to be called are few and far between up here it seems. It'll take a different approach than what I've been used to. I can't imagine baiting being nearly as enjoyable but perhaps I'll find someone to show me how they go about it sometime.

When I first got up here I was admittedly bummed thinking that I wouldn't be doing any calling. It seems the general consensus around us that there are coyotes all over the place and you guys having success is motivating me to start scouting some areas. I have seen foxes but no coyotes as of yet.

I used to run into coyotes pretty often in Arizona just walking my dogs. There's a few times I wished I had my pistol on me but I never seemed to have it on me when I needed it.

WELCOME REDLEG, BAITING IS COOL, FIRST YOU NEED A LIGHT ON THE BAIT WHICH IS 100 TO 150 YDS FROM THE HOUSE, A MOTION DETECTOR AND OF COURSE A SAND BAG REST DISGUIZED AS A NICNAC SHELF, AND YOU'LL HAVE TO GET RID OF THE GLASS IN THE STORM DOOR. YOU'LL NEED BUZZERS IN THE LIVING ROOM AND BED ROOM AND A VERY AGREEABLE WIFE TO PUT UP WITH OUR STUPID CRAP. I DO SAY THOUGH, THAT CALLING IS BY FAR MY FAVORITE THING. HOWEVER WHEN THAT BUZZER GOES OFF AT 0200AM IT'S EXCITING
DON

I don't call at night mainly cause I'm getting old. do it all in daylight and have pretty good luck, although right now I've done 30 setups without any sightings, so I'm due.
don

Hi all you Mainiacs!!! I don't know what's going on but I'm not calling any coyotes in? However I keep calling in bobcats!! My Father in law and I went out calling on the Stud mill road all day yesturday and didn't call a dang thing in AND THE WEATHER WAS PERFECT?!!

Today we decided to go out for a couple of hours and call before we had to do Christmas stuff with the family, we'll we ended up only calling two stands. 5 minutes into the first stand we called out a huge Bobcat like a dang 40 lbs cat!! It was so Windy out that we didn't see him until he had been there awhile My father pulled up on him and just as he was getting ready to take the shot the cat jumps off the boulder he was on and disappeared never to be seen again. So we drove down to some family land and decided to try one last stand in the heavy rain and wind?

20 minutes into calling I catch movement 80 yards out in the cutting guess what? Another nice bobcat is coming in, he is stalking the decoy I pulled my 6.8spc up put the cross hairs on his shoulder and sent a 110 v max his way...BANG, WHACK!!!! FLOP!!. LOL all I could see was his tail sticking up in the air doing what looked like the helicopter!! Lol, awesome day calling.

20161224_142339_zps1vdynoq2.jpg

20161224_142456_zpsm0evk5vl.jpg

20161224_142507_zps8l6dbsxj.jpg

Last edited:
Back