Hunting in Western md

Dave A

I've been hunting in Western MD for this will be the third year,granted I can't get out as much as like to.its taking its toll in lack of experience.i keep looking for new areas to try.a new calls to try.a anyone hunt in this area that what's to share some tips on places or calls to try or just a pep talk?

It's not easy out this way that's for sure. I've had tons of luck with Fox but only a few Coyote sightings. I mostly hunt state land but picked up a few private areas just this year. Only advice I can give is get out as much as possible and scout. Now for Fox this area is eat up with them and they're not very bright lol... The season starts November 1st in Garrett county.

Predator hunting :
Predators, especially coyotes can cover a lot of ground while out hunting. They might not be there when you are. When the guys refer to how many sets they have done, that's how many stops they have put in stopping and hunting different areas to be successful. This sport involves a lot of effort, hunting for Wiley.

You will be surprised where they will turn up if you stick with it that long. Scouting, persistence, patience & putting in the long hours of learning how to hunt the hunter will make you be a successful predator hunter. Be sure to check out " Google Custom Search " in the top banner, just type in what you want to learn about. Many years of knowledge stored there and the guys on here are great at answering questions . Good luck !

Welcome to PM & HUNTING THE HUNTER !

Predator Masters/tactics

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=83113&page=1

Coyote hunting videos

1. Byron South : Coming To The Call
2. Randy Anderson : Mastering The Art by Primos
3. Tony Tebbe : Predator University

Predator hunting books by : Andrew Lewand

I also found for $30 bucks a year this mapping to be very worth while :

https://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/hunt-for-mobile-phone-computer-overview

Enjoy !

Welcome Dave!, I am from the eastern side of the state and unfortunately only get out your way to call a couple times a year but have had extremely good luck in a few areas I would be happy to share with you. As previously stated, coyote here are very hard to hunt compared to other states but if you play them right, I am starting to have pretty consistent sucess. Out that way I focus on private land that is planted with some kind of crop. I'm not sure exactly why I have killed more in those areas I'm guessing more mice/rabbits and such but I have defiantly had way more sucess where I'm the only one calling the area and they seem to commit to the call quite well. I have had some really good luck on state land that has hard to a cess open areas. If you put the effort in to hike into these areas, your chances of sucess go way up.

The other thing that makes hunting the area hard is the wind. It seems to constantly swirl making it hard to play it correctly all the time. I like to hunt high ground but make sure there is some hind of wind break I can get into. Not sure if it helps but it makes me feel better.

I also found that while our coyotes will defiantly come to distress sounds, learning vocals can greatly increase your odds here. My though is that coyotes are social animals and while we don't have many of them that can make them more likely to come check out a new coyote in the area. (Breeding season they come hard to female howls and if one challenges and you challenge back get ready). It's really important to read a lot and study the sounds before going crazy with them. Coyotes can be complicated and you don't want to say the wrong thing. Tons of info on this site. Where I live I just finally killed my first coyote last year so I'm not going to tell you I have it all figured out but since that coyote, I have killed a few more since September and have started to really figure these eastern dogs out. We might only see one or two a year here on average but the numbers are going way up and you should be able to have a good bit of sucess out there this year

If you are looking for some good areas, pm me and I will tell you where I have had my best luck and you can try yours. Hope to see some pics of kills soon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: reaper4Welcome Dave!, I am from the eastern side of the state and unfortunately only get out your way to call a couple times a year but have had extremely good luck in a few areas I would be happy to share with you. As previously stated, coyote here are very hard to hunt compared to other states but if you play them right, I am starting to have pretty consistent sucess. Out that way I focus on private land that is planted with some kind of crop. I'm not sure exactly why I have killed more in those areas I'm guessing more mice/rabbits and such but I have defiantly had way more sucess where I'm the only one calling the area and they seem to commit to the call quite well. I have had some really good luck on state land that has hard to a cess open areas. If you put the effort in to hike into these areas, your chances of sucess go way up.

The other thing that makes hunting the area hard is the wind. It seems to constantly swirl making it hard to play it correctly all the time. I like to hunt high ground but make sure there is some hind of wind break I can get into. Not sure if it helps but it makes me feel better.

I also found that while our coyotes will defiantly come to distress sounds, learning vocals can greatly increase your odds here. My though is that coyotes are social animals and while we don't have many of them that can make them more likely to come check out a new coyote in the area. (Breeding season they come hard to female howls and if one challenges and you challenge back get ready). It's really important to read a lot and study the sounds before going crazy with them. Coyotes can be complicated and you don't want to say the wrong thing. Tons of info on this site. Where I live I just finally killed my first coyote last year so I'm not going to tell you I have it all figured out but since that coyote, I have killed a few more since September and have started to really figure these eastern dogs out. We might only see one or two a year here on average but the numbers are going way up and you should be able to have a good bit of sucess out there this year

If you are looking for some good areas, pm me and I will tell you where I have had my best luck and you can try yours. Hope to see some pics of kills soon.

I enjoyed reading your post Jeremy.

So l do feel that some places I hunt would be fox territory.so evey where I go I start with distress calls even thou I like to try coyote vocals .am I doing the right thing?

Let me ask about scouting.will this be done off season ? Or anytime? Would I take my rifle out this weekend and scout around if I didn't have an set area I felt confident to hunt?

You really can't do anything WRONG, lol . That is part of the fun trying something new. Other predators respond to coyote vocals or many of the different sounds from predators & prey.

Scouting you do anytime your out. Many times you will see no sign but they are there or travel through the area. I seek land owner permission year round.

Well said mick! Every trip out that way for me is a scouting mission. I pack my call some snacks and shooting sticks in a pack then drive to different areas and when I walk into something that looks good I will call it.

Cool thanks for the input.fox starts next week here I'll put more time in since at least 2 places I like I have confirmed fox sightings .so if you go out to a area and call and nothing comes in do you set off to explore the area if you feel it looks good?

You can. Probably should ask are you daylight or night hunting ? Most of us hunt nights, most of the time. Therefore most probably don't hunt to deep into a place. 1 set might be all that is needed unless there are many acres on that piece of property.

You may also hunt during the day just keep in mind you still should be stealthy. You will be surprised how close critters are sometimes when they are there in seconds or a couple minutes. Once you start calling be ready !!!

Well I hunt both. I don't have any one yo go with so for safety sake I try to find areas that are a short walk and easy to identify on a map that I give to VB my wife.

Originally Posted By: Dave AWell I hunt both. I don't have any one yo go with so for safety sake I try to find areas that are a short walk and easy to identify on a map that I give to VB my wife.
I sent you a message if you're looking for someone to hunt with.

Back