Running Suppressed

Is the only way to go.

Yesterday I started a little late. It was 9 by the time I got to my spot.
I started where I had Coyotes yaking at me the first weekend in September with almost the same results.
None were talking but it was a goose egg for a start.

The sound from the highway was carrying a long ways well over a mile.

I went to a ridge that over looked a valley that started sloping up to the next ridge a mile away. I had a finger of a ridge that was about 50 yards on my right so my vision was blocked that way. I catch movement coming from my right and see a coyote running up to about ten feet from my caller and then swaps ends and heads back the way he came.
I got up on my knees got my sticks around for my rest and hooted at him trying to get him to stop.
It made a slight hesitation and kept going. It was about five feet from the top of the ridge when I let her rip, I tipped him over before he made the top.
He came in at 7:38. I always look at the time after its over with. He came from the direction of the highway about a mile away. I wonder if he crossed it to come to the call.

The second Coyote
I setup on a ridge over looking a draw that slightly sloped up to my right with a ridge about four hundred yards in front running left to right.
I had another finger on my right about a hundred yards away.
At about a minute I catch movement at the top of the ridge out front. I lost it for a minute and was thinking it was a rabbit. It started moving again and I realized it was a Coyote. It wasn't in any hurry heading up to my right. Just before it disappeared on my right I switched to Rat distress hoping it might decide to come on in. It finally disappeared behind the ridge and I kept at it for another two minutes with nothing showing up and switched back to my original sound and about thirty seconds later I see a Rabbit take off from the right heading out front and I wondering if that Coyote spooked it and about that time the Coyote comes out behind the finger at about two hundred twenty yards and I tipped her over.

The third Coyote of the day happened at about 3:30 in the afternoon.
The ridges are like the second call they sit fifty feet above and start sloping up to the front to the next ridge a mile away.
I'm starting to daydream some because it had been a long day with a lot of empty calls when at four minutes I see a Coyote hauling as* down the road at about four hundred yards out coming to my left.
She keeps heading up the road and I try to stop her before she gets to far left and I have to get up to move. She finally makes the turn and at a hundred yards I tip her over.

More empty stands and I'm heading to my last stand of the day. It's five o'clock.

My brother missed a Coyote at this spot last year at about seventy five yards.

I setup on a ridge that over looks a heavy Sagebrush wash area. The Coyote are hard to see until they pop out very close, which number four did three minutes in. She popped up at fifty yards right in front of me. I tipped her over.
I continued to call for the ten minutes that I make my stands.
I getup to retrieve my caller. I always take my Rifle and sticks with me and it paid off. I look to my left and about two hundred yards out is number five standing there. I quickly sit down and tip this one over as well.

Since getting my Suppressor this is the second set of doubles I have got so far this year. I think if I didn't have the Suppressor I wouldn't have gotten the fifth one he was wary
It's very pleasant to make the shot now.

Glad to hear there are still coyotes up tour way and you're getting to thin them out a little. I agrre, suppressed is the only way to go...and polite.

Originally Posted By: crapshoot I agrre, suppressed is the only way to go...and polite.

... and the regulations to own one is insane.

Thanks for taking us along on your hunt. Where are the photos? That's the best part. I purchased 2 suppressors 8 months ago and have been told by AFT not to look for them until December. So, in this age of instant gratification buying a suppressor in a painful exercise in patience.

Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: crapshoot I agrre, suppressed is the only way to go...and polite.

... and the regulations to own one is insane.

Agreed!

Same technology as an automobile muffler; one is required by law and the other requires special permission to possess. Only in DC does that make sense.

Back