Wolf at 12 yards!

That's awesome. And you used a hand call too, so it's not like the wolf wasn't looking in your direction. I admire your skill.

What a great hunt, pic,& write-up, WTG.
A real pleasure to read your hunts JCS.

Curious "After three or four soulful "bleats", what voice did the ironwood call have?

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlCurious "After three or four soulful "bleats", what voice did the ironwood call have?

Just your basic rabbit, I blow into it slow and steady. Using my diaphragm I make a "Waaaaaa" sound like a baby. I space them out a few seconds apart. I just visualize a baby deer that got stuck or hurt and is calling for its momma! It has been a successful technique for me.
smile.gif

I love my Ruger rifles. The one in the picture is not a scout model. It is a Hawkeye that I had the barrel cut/recrowned at 17" and threaded for an A-2 flash hider. I did that to make it MUCH more maneuverable in the woods and by adding the flash hider I don't worry about banging up the crown. More importantly I can use the plastic military "dust covers" when I am either snowmobiling or in heavy snow conditions. Just snug enough to stay put but comes off easily when its time to shoot. NO snow in the bore!

The 505 might well do to a wolf what my 416 Remington did to a coyote I killed once. The near side was fine. The far side was really bad !
Congrats ! Getting onto a wolf that close must be a great thrill. Impressive that you went to a little rifle. I use a 6.5 Creedmoor in a stainless Hawkeye . Works great also.
I chopped the barrel on mine to around 18 1/2" and in everyway I like it so much better.

Last edited:
Back