Can't beat an old reliable hand call

kswaterfowl

In the day and age of of e-callers and educated coyotes everywhere. The good old Carver rabid rabbit still produces coyotes day in and day out.
Wr3puLU.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys! The last two have been called in with hand calls, but that will tough to do in a lot of places around here. These pastures are so thick and overgrown this year.

WTG. Gotta love those Carver calls. Grass is talllllll here also. Having to work quite a bit harder to find those areas of shorter grass and call them into it. Crops are starting to be harvested which will open up some more country.

Those are cows and a 550 lb calf @ 30-40 yds. I've never seen bluestem seed out quite like this before!

It looks like that here also. I went and checked some new ground yesterday, and you could barely see the cows. I decided to leave it alone in hopes of a heavy snow in the next couple months. We are going to have to stock up on some #4 buck, because the shotguns are going to get a workout this year.

I went out two days ago with my brother and the batteries in my Fox Pro Shockwave were dead. Dug an old closed reed call out of the center console of my Jeep and had the best day in the last couple of years. Thinking I should blow a call more often. A tip of the hat to those of you who still do it the old fashioned way. BTW, the $600.00 I have in my Shockwave would buy a pretty nice assortment of custom calls.

I have found that using hand calls for my style of hunting is absolutely the most efficient. The ability to slip into an area and make the exact sound I want at the exact moment I want it is critical. Having to go and set an e-caller 60 yards away and then sneak back and sit down is too much time, movement, scent and Noise for the conditions I hunt in. I also found that I spent way too much time looking at and fooling with the controller instead of watching The Woods for an approaching animal

Since learning how to call I have relied on handcalls and taken pride in calling them literally into my lap.
There is a place for ecalls and for me it is to get focus off of myself since I do not walk.
I generally drive by a rock, post, or bale and set an caller out the window before driving to a sniping spot.
Wow are they surprised to hear me bark to stop from the truck window.
An extra device and distraction has more of a price for me but the trade generally is worth it.

Back