Rebarreling a CZ 527

Rustydust

Hey Guys

I guess that it's about time for a new tube on my CZ 527 in .221 Fireball. I mean, it still shoots OK with certain loads but it has lost how will it likes to shoot the 40 grain Vmax and Ballistic Tips. 5 all in one hole a few years ago to about 1" groups now. Meh. So it goes.

So who of you had a new tube put on your 527? Who did the work and who made the barrel? I am sticking with the Furball because I have lots of brass and loaded ammo and, dang it, I just like the cute little round.

It took a bit of shooting to get it to where it is now so now it's time to get it back like it used to be. This time I want a varmint weight barrel too. Hey- may as well while I'm at it, right?

Jack Belk did one for me, I don't think you'll find him anymore. And a local gunsmith has done several for me. He is not doing many rifles anymore because of failing eyesight.

Just out of curiosity, do you have any idea how many rounds down that tube? I didn't think you could wear out a 221FB?
smile.gif

RD, have you given any thought to having James Calhoon do it? He does a lot of work with the CZ 527.

I had Pac Nor convert my 221 to 17FB.....couldn't be happier...

No bitching or upcharges for metric threads and they have CZ's barrel contour stored on their CNC machines so no upcharge for a custom contour.....

That was about six years ago and it's still just as accurate as the day I got it.....and I shoot that gun more than all my others put together.....

Originally Posted By: Coyotejunki

Just out of curiosity, do you have any idea how many rounds down that tube? I didn't think you could wear out a 221FB?
smile.gif

Well no, not really but a few thousand to be sure. And it still shoots heavier bullets such as the 52 grain Speer just fine. BUT...I want to shoot 40 grainers and the throat has opened up enough to where I have bit too much jump now. It's not horrible but I want it better. That's all.

Originally Posted By: RePeteI had Pac Nor convert my 221 to 17FB.....couldn't be happier...

I remember you doing that now. I will check them out. I bet that their prices are not the same as when you had yours done.

Originally Posted By: B23RD, have you given any thought to having James Calhoon do it? He does a lot of work with the CZ 527.

No, I have not checked with Calhoon. He is really old now but he may have someone else doing his gun work for him. I shot one his .19 Badgers once that used a CZ 527 action. It was superb too.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: B23RD, have you given any thought to having James Calhoon do it? He does a lot of work with the CZ 527.

No, I have not checked with Calhoon. He is really old now but he may have someone else doing his gun work for him. I shot one his .19 Badgers once that used a CZ 527 action. It was superb too.

I've only talked to him on the phone, never met him in person. From only talking to him on the phone I thought he was maybe around 60-ish but maybe he's older. I talked to him about a 527 I'll be sending him and he was certainly a character to chat with, that's for sure.

Originally Posted By: B23I've only talked to him on the phone, never met him in person. From only talking to him on the phone I thought he was maybe around 60-ish but maybe he's older. I talked to him about a 527 I'll be sending him and he was certainly a character to chat with, that's for sure.

I am pretty sure that he is in his 80's now. About 10 years ago he made me a single shot follower for my CZ and he had cut back on his work schedule back then. The last time that I called there I talked to his daughter and she told me that he was not doing much now. I guess that I will give them a call next week and see what's cooking.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: RePeteI had Pac Nor convert my 221 to 17FB.....couldn't be happier...

I remember you doing that now. I will check them out. I bet that their prices are not the same as when you had yours done.

No doubt....
frown.gif

I sure like their 17cal barrels though....got three of em and a 22BR....they all shoot like a house afire.....

BTW Rusty....since you seem confident that it's throat erosion have you thought about just getting the barrel set back and rechambered?
Like Dan said "it's pretty hard to wear out a 221"....

My smith only charges about $150 for a rechamber and fresh crown....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RePete

BTW Rusty....since you seem confident that it's throat erosion have you thought about just getting the barrel set back and rechambered?
Like Dan said "it's pretty hard to wear out a 221"....

Yeah, but I have an extra 527 stock already that is cut for a medium heavy varmint barrel. That would also give me plenty of barrel meat so that I can have it threaded for my suppressor. I have two CZ 527 Americans and for my kind of shooting I prefer a varmint barrel. I thought that my .17 Remington 527 Varmint was really neat and I want a Furball that has the heft and handles like it did too. Sound good to you?

Brux made me a duplicate barrel several years ago. Kevin Weaver smithed that one. He did a great job making it a shooter, but he's very expensive now from what I can tell.

I had the next one done up by a guy that's now retired. It is a slightly heavier contour at 1.1 for 1" then straight taper to .780 at 24". Little heavy but deadly as sin.

I also had GAP do a barrel for one several years ago. It took a while but of course it's great.

For what it's worth, I just got a Brux barrel today that I ordered 3 weeks ago. It was a custom contour, so obviously they have a very short lead time right now.

Gottcha.....I prefer sporter weights but carry on....

Back on topic....if you were looking for a 17cal barrel I's say PN or Lilja but for a 221 any premium barrel maker should give you years of service...
IMO.....for .224 and larger it's more about the smith than the barrel MFG.....

Luck

Rusty,

Try Adam at Dresdon Gun Company, I think he's a member on here. He did the action and barrel work on a Kimber I had rebarreled to 243. Excellent work and accuracy is outstanding.
He is who I will use in the future.

This is the one he did.
DSCF2237_zpssxrixnhm.jpg

Originally Posted By: K22Rusty,

Try Adam at Dresdon Gun Company, I think he's a member on here. He did the action and barrel work on a Kimber I had rebarreled to 243. Excellent work and accuracy is outstanding

Are you spelling "Dresdon" correctly? I cannot find anything by that name.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: K22Rusty,

Try Adam at Dresdon Gun Company, I think he's a member on here. He did the action and barrel work on a Kimber I had rebarreled to 243. Excellent work and accuracy is outstanding

Are you spelling "Dresdon" correctly? I cannot find anything by that name.

No I'm not!
blushing.gif
It's Dresden. Sorry.

Adam is darn good.

Originally Posted By: K22

No I'm not!
blushing.gif
It's Dresden. Sorry.

Adam is darn good.

Thanks for that!

And thanks to everyone else too for their input. I have a gunsmith that really like but he is not setup for metric. Pity as he does good work.

Back