OAL for 6x6.8?

Coyotejunki

I have been having problems with my AR15 chambered in 6x6.8. I haven't used SSI brass, Just the large primer brass, I believe it's Rem?

Now the problem is with my reloads after being full length resized with a Redding S-die. Hornady 58gr VMAX bullet under 2.240" OAL to fit the magazine. Some of these reloads do not want to chamber, and when I try to extract it is very hard and often pulls the bullet out of the brass leaving it stuck in the barrel.

Thinking more about the above, I just resized my brass, I don't think I was FL sizing enough, causing the cartridge to not fully chamber sometimes. I used a magic marker to blacken the bullet on a few dummy rounds to see if it was touching the lands, and didn't see any of those square or rectangle marks on the bullets.
What is puzzling me is the bullet getting pulled out of the cartridge with an OAL length of 2.240 and easily fitting in my PMAG's. Any Idea. I guess I will have to try again with the newly resized brass.

I always try resized but empty brass by itself first. If it chambers fully and extracts easily then it's resized enough. Next seat the bullet. If extraction gets difficult at that point either the bullet is out too far or, in some cases with necked down brass, the necks are too thick. I don't think that's your problem with this cartridge. If it's a BHW barrel, you won't see square marks on the bullet when it touches the lands.

What fits in the magazine doesn't determine if the bullet is seated deep enough for the chamber. I would seat a little deeper and I bet your problem goes away.

Quote: If it's a BHW barrel, you won't see square marks on the bullet when it touches the lands. I hadn't realized that.

I figured I was doing something wrong. It did chamber the resized unloaded brass, but those may have been the ones that worked fine. I dunno, I didn't try all of them. I just reset the dies to make sure I pushed the shoulders back on fired brass about .003". I will try a few more resized/unloaded pieces and then a couple of new dummies.

Yeah that poly rifling makes it kind of hard to see the land marks ime anyway. FWIW I had a tough time pinning down seating depth for my 17/223 BHW. Seemed like it was a moving target with 20 gr vmax. I finally got it figured out just seating off the lands and it's a laser. The 243 lbc was a lot easier to determine. I'm actually surprised you can reach lands with the 58 grainers.

Mine is a 6mm WOA, pretty much the same thing. I load my ammo to 2.255 with a Hornady 75 gr VMax. They don't touch the lands. Perhaps you have a carbon ring just ahead of the neck that is grabbing the projectile. Perhaps you have a tight chamber and need SB dies. Perhaps the cartridges have grown in length and need to be trimmed. Lots of perhaps, but you never know.

I had the same thing with my 6x6.8 BHW barrel when I first got it. Mine would require me to seat the bullet way down or else have them stuck in the barrel. Turns there was a "ring" in my chamber. Sent the barrel back and now I can seat bullets out further without pulling them out of the casing.

I think I received it back in February or maybe March. I reloaded some more and most of them worked fine and then a few stuck and the 58gr or VMAX's pulled out when I extracted the cartridge.

What size bushing are you using with that rem brass? Have the cases already been fired once in this gun? Have you already shot a number of rounds through it and this issue just came up or are you just now getting it setup?

Last edited:
Quote:What size bushing are you using with that rem brass? Have the cases already been fired once in this gun? Have you already shot a number of rounds through it and this issue just came up or are you just now getting it setup?

.265 Redding bushing,
yes these have been fire a couple times in the rifle,
shot maybe 100 rds thru the rifle,
I think it has happened from the beginning, but not all the time.

Quote:have you tried seating them another .005 deeper in the case?
yep.

I am going to fully prep some more including trimming to length.
And a second very thorough cleaning. I'll try it again. I just am short on time presently.

Just sold 6x6.8 and it shot the 58vmaxes the best. They like jump!
.060 jump is fine. When I seated bullets out to mag length, I couldn't get accuracy. Was running H335

Back