teaching an old dog to...take a nap

204 AR

The weather this afternoon after work was just too beautiful not to go out and give it a try. I have access to a quarter section with some crop land, some pasture, meadow, and a creek running through it with small ponds here and there. And a prairie dog town on one edge. Over the last several years I've shot several deer on it, but never had much luck with the coyotes. Since I haven't tried it yet this year I decided to go for it anyway.

There's no really good stand locations there, but I set up along a weedy fence line about 100 yds from the creek, with the pdog town starting about 100 yds on the other side. Visibility wasn't the greatest because of lack of elevation and tall weeds and grass this year. With the call between me and the creek and no wind I figured let's try it.

Pdog distress at volume 30 on the Fury made the pdogs stand up and take notice, then they calmed down. After maybe 3 minutes they started going absolutely nuts. Scanning that way revealed a coyote across the creek coming my way! He stopped on the far bank momentarily, but behind a weed that there was no way I could shoot through. Down into the creek he went, and out of sight. I adjusted my position to where I figured he would come out and waited, what seemed like forever but was about a minute. I was afraid he had seen me from the other side and was bugging out. But just when I was losing faith he popped out pretty close to where I expected at about 75 yds, facing me and the 243 lbc with an 87 gr vmax hammered him with a loud thwump and down he went. Love how loud the impact is when shooting suppressed. The timer on the remote showed 4 minutes and 56 seconds and it was all over. Gotta love it when things work as they should! A few more minutes of pup distress brought nothing else out so I decided to check out the kill.

It was a male with fairly well worn teeth and patch of fur missing from his right hip where it looked like he was biting at something perhaps. Otherwise no mange and the bullet didn't exit but he was mush inside from the sounds of it.

Well I went back out this evening, same spot but slightly different set up. There's just a lot of ground you can't see alone no matter where you sit, and this time it cost me. I sat for 17 minutes, and should have sat 18. Had one coming down a weedy fence row out of sight, another minute or two and I bet he would have come down into my vision. Busted when I got up to look around and leave. I sped him up like an idiot with a long shot as he was walking.

Grrrr! Two for two there would have been sweet! At any rate the population there must have rebounded.

Back