A coyote with my daughter

DesertRam

Director
Staff member
A while back, my daughter received one of the "free to a kid" calls that our own rareearth offered up. Ever since, she's been chomping at the bit to get out and give it a go. So this past Sunday we got up early and headed out into the desert near the house to see if we could rustle up some fur. Since coyotes hear in the desert often charge in pretty hard this early in the year, the youngster brought along her little 20 gauge, while I toted the 2010 Egg Shoot rifle.

On the first stand, I convinced her to let me try out my new turquoise-inlaid hand call from ultramag before her turn. I'm becoming quite the fan of his handmade wood toneboards. The other one I have brought in a young coyote within the first five minutes of its inaugural stand. The new call sings just as nicely, and brought in this female after about ten minutes. We spotted her at about 150 yards and worked pretty hard to get her to come into shotgun range, but she knew something was amiss. Either she caught a bit of our scent, saw a glint of polished fingernail, or had played this game already this year. Regardless, she had no interest in coming on in, and was in fact acting like she was on the way out when I sent a 53 grain Vmax through her chest. We tried to stay patient and see if we could get a second taker, but gave up after a few minutes to go see what we had.
TroyRegan16Oct2016Female-_zpsp9a9q54r.jpg

Remember ultramag's offer of 25% off one's next Lights Out call purchase? This is my coupon.

Troy16Oct2016FemaleUltramagCall-_zpsofkdt3wd.jpg

On the next stand, the rareearth call came out to play. Despite its beauty and great sound, and what should have been a great stand, we had no takers. But the kid got to try out her new call and spend time with Dad, and that's what the day was really all about anyway.
Regan16Oct2016CallingRareearth-_zpsa8ayk2av.jpg

We made a couple more stands with the FoxPro Shockwave to get it lined out for the season, but I think the combination of swirling winds, very warm temps, and the full moon conspired against us, ensuring that the young hunter left without her first coyote. We headed back home for lunch and chores having taken only one coyote. Still, I'll take our 25% success rate and the 25% off my next Lights Out and call it a day!
grin.gif

Very Special! Hope the two of you get to have many more days like that. Thanks for sharing your story, brightened my day. Tell your Daughter to keep after it...

Great story! I too love spending time with my daughter in the outdoors. It's those experiences that make life worth while.

The only way to make that better would have been a shot for your daughter too, congrats on time WELL SPENT and some fur.

Thanks Dave. All is well. CA treating you well?

Me too stanly.

John, it is a little 510 mini in 20 ga. It's nothing fancy, but gets the job done like most Mossberg shotguns do.

Thanks Al and crapshoot. Yes weekender, I really wanted her to get a shot. Next time.

Thanks Dustin. Yeah Bob, she tied that herself. She's getting pretty decent with para cord.

Thanks Adam and Drop.

Doesn't get much better than that, Troy. Journey this trip, Destination just over the next hill!
thumbup.gif

Regards,
hm

Back