FNG With Fur Handling Questions

TheBig1

Good day everyone, I'm new to predator hunting, reloading, and now fur handling. I recently made an order from FoxPro and among my order I purchased two clearance DVD's. When I got my package there were 3 DVD's in there, thank you very much FoxPro for hooking a brother up, on purpose I'm hoping.

Anyways, I watched one of the DVD's, not sure which one, maybe Furtakers Volume 2, and in it Abner Druckenmiller asked his grandfather to do a tutorial on skinning a fox. It was pretty neat and looked like something that I could accomplish.

1. So one of my questions is, what sort of tools would I need to do this?

Gambrel, fur comb, tail stripper, fleshing block, fleshing knife, gloves, wooden stretchers, etc... What else might I be missing.

Also, I'm just looking to do this for fun, not looking to spend a lot of money.

2. Where would be the best place to buy all of this quality gear?

For instance in the video Abner's grandfather suggested a metal tail stripper and the wooden stretchers over the wire stretchers.

Also, I'm probably not looking to tan them myself. One thing that I learned in the video is that you can just stretch them and let them dry and they're good to go. I thought that was pretty cool. Again, I'm not looking to do much of anything with them. I might hang a few around the house but then after I've dried them I'd probably sell them to some fur guy or something.

Again, just looking to learn something new and have some fun.

FYI, I read the fur handling tips, 2-6 in another thread, and on one of the links it had plans to build your own fleshing block. That link to those directions did not work for me.

Thanks in advance,
Chad

sounds like you have everything you need too me, but I would go ahead and tan them if it was me. But if you look up fur harvester trading post on the internet I believe it www.fntpost.com you can get everything you need and a seems to be a reasonable price I believe. I world recommend a good skinning or pelting knife if you don't have one, A good pocket knife works the same. And a good sewing kit if you are shoot, and for learning to flesh. I am doing the same this year, with trapping going to learn to stretch and flesh.

Last edited:
If you are planning on hanging them in your house you will need to have them tanned. Ones that are just dried and hung up do not last long as the bugs get in them and eat them up. FNT has everything you will need and you can probably make your own wooden stretchers easily enough. There are lots of instuctional videos on Youtube.

Originally Posted By: RePeteHere's some good info......

http://www.nafa.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/NAFA_PeltHandlingManual-E-web.pdf

I don't like solid boards....use their dimensions and make adjustable ones....

Also....be sure to split the tail or it'll taint....to make it easy and straight buy one of the cheap guides the vendors sell....it's just a little V shaped piece of metal you stick in the tail after stripping...

This!!!!! and I would add that if you intend to tan the hides {you should if you intend to keep them} you wont really need stretchers. Stretchers are for when you intend to just dry them and sell them. Most buyers want the animal skinned, fleshed and dried. If you intend to tan them you will need a salt box and plenty of salt. Suggest you look on some taxidermy websites and get a DVD about tanning. Lutan F is some of the easy to use and better chemicals to try. Good luck.

Back