Thermal kill at 265 yds.

DoubleUp

A few weeks ago we called out a hobbling coyote but it gave us the slip when it crossed an unmowed ditch bank pretty far out. Last night we went to the north side of the highway from where we called out the hobbling coyote on the south side.

They had just picked the beans today and had left a tractor in the field. I set up right by the tractor. My partner had been calling about 45 minutes when some coyotes opened up in the woods to our east. The north, west, and south were all bean fields.

Finally on pup distress one came out. She took a crap in the field and I thought I could see that it was a coyote by the tail. I had to be careful because two deer had already jumped out in the field, and I didn't want to shoot a deer.

Anyway she eventually got finished with her crap and started on across the field a good long ways off. Then, she started hobbling as she picked up speed and I knew that it was the same coyote from across the road. She stopped long enough for me to take the shot and she was DRT. Pretty big female with a nice coat for this time of year. It was a pretty long shot for thermal at 265 yds., with the Pulsar Apex XD50A. So glad I had the picture in a picture for that range. I was shooting a Ruger American Predator in 243 using a 58 v-max at about 3,750 fps so it is pretty flat shooting. There was no visible entry or exit, but pretty broken up inside the chest. Here is the video.

And a couple of stills using a cell phone camera, sorry for the quality.

It felt good to repay the trickster from the first encounter.

Great stuff as usual DoubleUp.

Calling for 45 minutes is a long time but just shows that sometimes staying put produces. One time I called for about 35 minutes and was ready to pack up when a coyote appeared.

Sounds like your setup was good to, sitting by the tractor.

Love the thermal.

Thanks guys, I really couldn't tell what was causing her to hobble. I didn't see any wound or apparent deformity. I' like to put about 40 more out of their misery this year.

Back