6.5 DTI scores again!!

TnTnTn

Killed 2 mature does this morning at about 40 and 50 yards using the same load as the previous two deer kills, a 100g Nosler Partition over Reloder 10x. Both were single shots into the chest, two bam flops with neither bullet exiting. I did recover one bullet under the skin on the off side. The other bullet must have been loose in the front of the chest but I didn't find it. This little cartridge is a hammer thus far- five shots in the field with 4 deer and 1 coyote killed. The DTI series is perfect for a combo predator/deer rifle in the AR15 platform. Of course so is the 6.8 but it is nice to have something a bit different. TTT
IMG_9546.jpg

Congrats on the deer. I have been stuck in Tallahassee the entire Ga gun season and havent had the chance to go. When I get my DTI i will be trying it out on something. Three more months to wait.
Good luck and congratulations again
Greg Harrison

Nice rifle how expensive is the ammo for that. I was looking at that caliber the 6.8 spcII and the Grendel for my next Ar just curious by the way meat in the freezer is always a good thing congrats.

Arzombie-The DTI series of cartridges are wildcats based on the 6.8 SPC case developed by DTech(Miki Milli) so you can't purchase them over the counter. They are a handloading proposition only. Either the 6.8 SPC or the 6.5 Grendel that you mentioned would be similar performing over the counter rounds that you could purchase at most any well stocked gun store or over the internet. Either would be fine but the SPC may have a better magazine situation and more reliable feeding because of the cartridge shape. Good luck in your quest. TTT

Curious on chrono numbers as well. Are you loading them light? I'm surprised at under 50 yds a partition is not exiting.

Yeah my load with the 100g NP is making about 2670 fps according to my chrono. From the looks of the brass it could be pushed a bit more. I killed two similar sized deer with it last week and both bullets exited, one traversing a fair distance. Exiting or not is probably somewhat variable with a sd of .205 at moderate velocity on a deer sized animal. All the deer weighed about 140-145 on the hoof according to chest girth charts. I prefer exits for a better blood trail but bam flops work too. Of the 4 killed 3 were bam flops and one traveled about 30 yards or so with the staggers all the way. Partitions are pretty soft on the front end-I will add a pic of the recovered bullet in a bit. I want to try some Hornady 100g interlocks but just began with the partitions since I had several on hand. TTT

Ok here is the recovered bullet(weighs 62.5g), 100g NP weighs 99g, and a loaded 6.5 DTI cartridge in front of my old faithful Helle. TTT

IMG_5724.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Can't argue with the performance. Not every day you see the lead separate in a partition, at least on the 30 cals.

I'm curiouse as to the weight of the gun . Well actually the barrel , are the D-Tech barrels what would be called bull or heavy barrels ? I wanna possibly get a 6.5 upper for deer but I also do not want something as heavy as an anchor .

I'm pretty satisfied with the 6.8 SPC in my Stag Model 7 and my DPMS 308 .

But........................ ,
I kinda wanna get a 6.5 DTI upper as well as a 260 REM upper . I'd be up for an upper in 6.5 WSSM if brass wasn't an issue !

Ok I see this thread has been resurrected- sent you a couple PMs CST. My rifle weighs 10.4# loaded and ready for hunting with sling scope etc. The Shilen select match is a pretty heavy contour and mine is 19". I haven't hunted much the last three years but the 6.5 DTI kill count is at 14 whitetails and about the same on coyotes. It's my perfect go to TN deer/coyote rifle as I figured it would be. It has a Geiselle G2S trigger which is excellent for a hunting trigger. You won't see any difference between a 6.8SPC and 6.5DTI. I like the 6.5mm bore and wanted something different I reckon. Mike was kind enough to build it and I'm well pleased.

Last edited:
Back