Need suggestions for SPR barrel

roky0702

I'm trying to finish my .223 precision AR for target shooting and coyote hunting. Here's my ideal criteria:

18", SPR contour, fluted, midlength gas, threaded, and preferably 1:8 twist (shooting mostly 55gr FMJ/V-Max for now, eventually heavy match bullets for long range).

Most that I've looked at are either off brands that I'm unsure of their quality/accuracy or spendy match barrels around $350. I've been waiting for this Faxon barrel to come back in stock: http://faxonfirearms.com/18-heavy-fluted...-black-nitride/ but still looking for other options. I appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: roky0702BHW are good barrels, but they are more expensive than a WOA SPR barrel. I'm hoping there's other options cheaper than WOA.

Sometimes it's hard to meet a quality standard at a lower price point. Everyone makes a great shooting barrel occasionally but it's the frequency of those great shooters one is paying for in stepping up to the next price tier IMHO..

Greg

I have WOA,McGowen Precision,Blackhole Weaponry Barrel's and they have and all do shoot great and I would not go cheap on a rifle that I want Precision. That being said the best customer service that I have ever got was buying a barrel through Ritch great guy to deal with and can save you a little $$ on a BHW.

Midway is running a sale on this barrel :

18" fluted barrel

No experiences with it but it's much cheaper than the rest and seems to have decent reviews.

I personally believe the barrel is the last place to go cheap.

Last edited:
I don't mean cheap as in crap quality, just not $350 (or $500 for BHW). The Faxon is a good barrel and only $260, just currently out of stock. I'm hoping for other fluted SPR contour barrels around that price. I'm not looking to get a precision out of a $100 barrel. I'll hit up Ritch, but they seem out of my budget.

Last edited:
ARP

I've got this barrel on my .223 and it shoots 55gr. Midway Dogtown bullets very well. I've also heard/read nothing but positive things about BHW barrels. Decisions, decisions.

Ive been using ARP barrels for alittle while now and love them. They arent expensive and all of mine shoot great with no complaints.

Just got this one in a couple weeks ago and threw it together.
http://ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/38007/12239

It shoots 50gr Noslers BTs, 53gr Vmax, and 69gr SMK really good. Thats the only 3 bullets ive tried so far, next is some 77gr TMK's.

The 50 and 53 grain load was shot one evening with 0 wind it was really nice. The 69 smk load was shot Saturday morning with some crazy wind, it was switching left and right and some 1/4 value toward me 10mph with 15-20mph gust. Was goin to try for a 10 shot group but i lost 2 of my round somewhere in the truck after painting the gong. Here is the last 8 my buddy wanted a picture of so i did this lil collage thing. First time ive ever loaded 69gr SMK and they are Sierra 2nds from their retail outlet loaded on a Dillon 550 with TAC in new WIN brass and Tula 223 primers. I was holding 2moa off the left side and it hit there. Gong is 13"x30"..

Tried to call some coytoes saturday moring and nothing so i shot a crow.

Last edited:
Back