coyote attack

verg

witnessed something very cool but tough the other night. I was sitting in tree stand and by edge of corn/bean field. Heard a noise come out of corn to my left about 60 yds. It was a yote that jumped out of corn and came running down the edge toward me. I was planning on trying for a shot. As it got about to me it turned and headed a few rows down the corner straight away from me. (stand is located at a corner of corn field) It crouched like a cat. Just then here came a doe busting out of the corn. The yote leaped and landed on its back and pulled it right down. This happened in the grass between corn and beans. There was a terrific battle. All I could see what the does legs flailing and the yote on top and tearing away and growling something fierce. The doe managed to get up and tear off out of there. The yote hopped a couple steps and just watched her run away. I tried for a shot. I figured 35 yds and hit right under him. Went to get my arrow and ranged the spot at 40. It all happened so fast..probably 25 seconds at most. I wish I had a video. Now I fully understand how yotes can do damage on deer. If one yote can pull down a mature doe what would 2-3 of them do. How about fawns?
And...how crazy smart coyotes are. I believe he kicked her up in corn and got her running. He came out the side though so he could run faster, then got around the edge where he knew she'd come out. Insane!

It's nature. I once saw five coyotes teamed up on a doe in about 10" of snow. I had a .30-30 out for a hike and took one of the coyotes out and stopped that temporarily at least. The doe had some minor cuts and bites on her flank and was bleeding a bit. She looked exhausted, she was breathing heavily, sides heaving in and out. The coyotes probably trailed her that night and got her. I've seen a pair of coyotes chasing a yearling deer once. It also looked tuckered. My dad saw a single coyote chasing a similar sized deer once also.

Once while I was turkey hunting along a field edge and had a jake gobbler responding and working toward me when a big old coyote flashed out of the woods like a danged missile and hit that young gobbler like a linebacker. There was a flurry of wings, snapping jaws, dust and commotion and the coyote jogged back into the woods with his prize. Total time elapsed could only have been 20 or 30 seconds. It's not uncommon at all to have coyotes respond to turkey yelping while hunting gobblers.

Last year while bowhunting with my son the coyotes got to my bow shot buck before I could recover him. My son and I packed our climbing stands into the national forest in the dark that morning and split up to go to our selected spots. Our stands were about 1/4 mile apart. As it turned out he shot a buck at 8:10 that morning on his stand and I shot one at 8:20 over at my spot. We decided to pack our stands back to the truck which was about a 1/2 mile away on a Forest Service trail. We met up at the truck, ate a snack then took the meat pack back to his deer first. We quartered his buck and deboned it and hiked it back to the truck. I have a 150 qt. cooler in the bed with ice and we deposited his deer in there. By the time we got to my buck about three hours or so had gone by. Coyotes had found it and eaten most of its rear end out. [beeep] of a mess...

when i think about a yote or yotes taking on a Doe it makes me question whether the energy expense is really worth it especially if no kill is made.............and especially if you think about them running one all night. Mousing and grabbing rabbits cost so fewer calories.

I got in a deer stand before light one morning and shortly after getting settled, I heard splashing in a pond that was about 80 yards away. I couldn't see what was causing the noise, but there would be splashing sounds then silence, then more splashing. Finally got light enough for me to see that there were two coyotes after a fawn. Fawn would go into the pond and head for the other side, and if it got to shallow water, the coyotes would try to take it down and fawn would go back to deeper water. I didn't let it play out because I thought I could kill a coyote and even though I did get them to come toward my treestand, I never got a shot, BUT they did eventually sniff me out and bugged out. I could tell the fawn was exhausted when it later exited the pond. If I weren't around, there's no doubt what the out come would've been.

Last edited:
Good stories and the exact reason a coyote never gets a pass from me. Had three of them run some deer in front of me last year during gun season. They should have been paying better attention....killed two out of the three at about 65 yds with Super Redhawk .44 mag. Third one didn't hang around after the shooting started.

I watched 2 coyotes chase a deer in relay. One rested and one ran the deer in a big circle and when they got close to the rested one would take over.I didn't have a gun so all I could do was watch. They are crafty buggers.

Ever see the opposite ?

Many times when we call we have had deer run in all puffed up and blowing snot. Looking for the coyote.
Had to chase them off once they started kicking our call.
I watch as a coyote coming in once ran by a doe and the doe kicked the crap out of it and run it off.
We have had many eagles swoop down on an advancing coyote and harass it till they leave. too.

I've often wondered to myself, "who knew deer ate rabbits"
Close as they come in sometime seems like they should open an additional 'Deer Knife' season...

I have seen coyotes take out both deer and antelope. I have watched coyotes harass a doe antelope while several other work a grid till they find their fawns. I have also seen large packs of coyotes working deer in deep snow. On the other hand I was calling one fall and could see a dust cloud coming from about 3/4 of a mile out. I put my binos on it and there was a coyote coming on a string. There was a antelope buck right behind him in hot pursuit. He checked up right in front of me and the antelope went to stomping on him. It didn't take him long to bug out and hit the brush to get away.

drscott

Not a coyote, but years ago, we had a deer camp not far from an old man's ranch house. The old fellow had a big yellow lab mix (appropriately named Dog) that came into our camp regularly and the hunters made the mistake of throwing him trimmings as they field dressed their game.

Predictably, the dog acquired a taste and one day my son, then 9 years old, and I spotted a buck that had been neck shot but no vitals hit. He had a nasty wound but didn't seem the least bit impaired. Not far behind the buck, here comes Dog, accompanied by a near grown pup I had never seen before. They were trailing the buck and caught up with it in front of our tree stand.

We exited the stand and slipped through the brush toward the baying dog until I spotted the buck. Dog was firmly attached to one of the deer's hind legs and the pup was keeping the buck busy barking in front of the buck.

My son was an excellent shot with a rest, but I wasn't sure he could make the shot offhand, so I knelt down and had him rest the rifle on my shoulder. The deer was about 50-60 yards out and Dog still hanging on to that leg. Neither the buck or the dogs had any clue we were near when my son's 6MM Rem. knocked the buck down. When the bullet struck the deer, he kicked and sent Dog spinning. Both dogs took off toward camp at a dead run. I don't think they ever knew we were there.

When we came into camp, Dog, who usually met every hunter at the gate, was lying under a tree. He made a point of looking the other way the whole time and I never saw him in the pastures after that day.

Regards,
hm

Back