First piece for my first build! (Last pic before 100% completion- 09/11/2016!!!)

thats a sexy looking barrel with the spiral fluting.

just my personal opinion but it'd be a shame to cover it with any color, unless you're doing so for camo reasons. since it looks like its bead blasted type of finish, i would think glare/shine wont be too much of an issue for you.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onethats a sexy looking barrel with the spiral fluting.

just my personal opinion but it'd be a shame to cover it with any color, unless you're doing so for camo reasons. since it looks like its bead blasted type of finish, i would think glare/shine wont be too much of an issue for you.

I do agree on how good the barrel looks! If I were doing a black based build, I would for sure leave it as it is. I just haven't convinced myself that the satin/bead blasted finish looks very good against Burnt Bronze. I have spent lots of time "googling" images of spiral fluted barrels and I think, even with a matte black finish, it will look [beeep] good still!

Should look similar to this, but I'm going with a custom mix Burnt Bronzeso that it is a bit darker and won't have the "gold" look when the sun hits it.

I am hoping that there is still enough barrel hanging out the front of that handguard to show off that barrel. If it turns out well, it will certainly be cause to plan another build!!! I do already have dreams of building one to have Cerakoted in the white Kryptek Yeti pattern.

Last edited:
I haven't updated in a while....

Managed to get a few more pieces to the puzzle. I dropped a few parts and the barrels off at MCM Fireamrs to get Cerakote applied. Hopefully those pieces will be done in the next week or so! After this, the only items I still need are the trigger, charging handle, optics and optics mount.

The suspense and the lack of being rich is killing me!!!

Do you have a link for X-Caliber's website? The only thing I found was a facebook page. Dont have facebook
frown.gif

John

Finally got my stuff back from the Cerakote shop! I have to say, I think they did an amazing job and the custom mix color is exactly what I was wanting! I mocked it up just so that I could get an decent idea of how it looked over all. Now I have to bust some balls and get the final few pieces.

A close up of the color.

A shot to see if I could still see the barrel flutes though the handguard.

A mostly complete mock up. My wife said she wants to show it off when it's done! Lol!

The twins are almost done. I still need to order up the Raptor charging handles for both and a safety selector for my gun. I temporarily robbed a scope to put on while we make a final decision on permanent optics. So so close!!!

Thanks guys! I'm so ready to do some shooting! For me, that's where the apprehension comes from.... Being as there's no published reloading data for this thing!

Tatertot, did you strip them complete down for the cerakote or what? Fixing to send my 6.5 so curious and also was your barrel stainless or just normal finish

Originally Posted By: CSM52Tatertot, did you strip them complete down for the cerakote or what? Fixing to send my 6.5 so curious and also was your barrel stainless or just normal finish

I didn't fully strip the upper. The forward assist and dust cover were still assembled. The rest of the rifle was still in pieces, as I ordered parts over 10 months of time. The barrel was taken to the Cerakote shop witha matte finish.

I see that some shops will charge a fee if they have to disassemble your rifle.

Back