First shot From AR is high right of rest of group. What gives?

Sandy, I may end up taking your suggestion but I hate shooting anywhere near where I will be calling coyotes plus it is illegal in Oregon to have a round in the chamber in a vehicle. I want this to be my calling rifle.

Do you have another barrel to swap in and try? It would atleast confirm if your problem lies in the barrel or the rest of the gun. My bet is something is wrong with the barrel.

Seems to me,if adjusting the POI for the first shot, everything after that is going to move the same distance. What did you gain?????

Just for the heck of it try loading the first bullet and eject it to look for any ding on it that might account for that. That might account for the heavier bullets doing something the lighter ones aren't.

Otherwise start with six and fire the first off into the dirt, next five shots will group.
lol.gif

My 6.5x6.8 barrel does the same thing no matter what bullet I load for it. The first shot is always 1"-1.5" high,the rest always group right together.
I've tried different magazines,bolts,bolt carriers,and barrel torque settings. Nothing changed.

Then I tried different neck tensions,and bullet seating depths. Both of these have helped with the first round flyers on my rifle.

My guess is that when you fire the first, the cycling of the action does something to the subsequent rounds that does not happen when you charge the weapon, as in smashing the lead tip ? I would check very closely a hand chambered round vs. a normally cycled round for any variations, tips, runout before and after cycling? Also, you noticed some difference when you changed magazines. I'd explore that further as the possible culprit.

I had a target rifle that did the same thing, I resolved that by hand dropping and closing the bolt, the rest of the magazine didn't do it. It for some reason would put a ding on the first bullet.

It should work to drop a bullet into the chamber and close the action, the rest of the magazine shouldn't do it.

Shouldn't hurt using it as a calling rifle if you hand chamber that first round.

The barrel manufacturer said to keep shooting it to further break in the barre. After another 100 more so rounds I don't see the first round wild situation like before. The problem seems to have resolved on its own. Go figure. I'm getting 3/4-1" groups @100yds now.

Back