Barrels on varmint builds

Pantera

Any of you guys using heavy barrels on your varmint builds? I have an 18" RRA upper with about a 9" tubular handguard. The barrel is definentally not fluted, stainless steel bead blasted. Wondering if it'll be cumbersome to free hand? Thinking about picking up a Harris 13.5 to 27 swivel bipod. Anyone know if I can still run a sling off this bipod?

Thanks!!

Harris's - and their clones - do have allowance for standard (not QD) swivels.

I use heavy barrels on most of my personal AR's, but with a 0.75" gas block, to keep the weight a little closer in hand. .920 and .830 gas blocks mean a lot more weight out front, anything more than 18-20", I really don't wanna shoot them off hand.

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorHarris's - and their clones - do have allowance for standard (not QD) swivels.

I use heavy barrels on most of my personal AR's, but with a 0.75" gas block, to keep the weight a little closer in hand. .920 and .830 gas blocks mean a lot more weight out front, anything more than 18-20", I really don't wanna shoot them off hand.

What's the reasoning behind, say, a Burris PEPR, over traditional rings? Height can be selected with any old rings, whats the point of these things pushing the scope over the handguard?

Originally Posted By: PanteraOriginally Posted By: VarminterrorHarris's - and their clones - do have allowance for standard (not QD) swivels.

What's the reasoning behind, say, a Burris PEPR, over traditional rings? Height can be selected with any old rings, whats the point of these things pushing the scope over the handguard?

Proper Eye relief and Cheek weld..

Originally Posted By: reddog964Originally Posted By: PanteraOriginally Posted By: VarminterrorHarris's - and their clones - do have allowance for standard (not QD) swivels.

Proper Eye relief and Cheek weld..

This.

I have AR's with 1/2" railed risers and standard rings (highs), but it's a lot of potentially moving parts in the system. Much better to use a 1pc of reputable build.

I have a relatively short neck (very), and poor mobility in my neck, so I can't get my nose clear up to the charging handle, so I don't need the forward offset as much as some folks, but I still need the 1.25-1.5" ring height offered by AR-specific mounts.

Here are two different application for optics on ARs....Notice that the top one has an Elevated Optical Platform (EOP) built into the upper...This allows me to use a variety of optics by way of Warne Quick Detach rings...

The lower rifle has the standard flat top rail and has the optic mounted in a LaRue one piece mount that allows the optic to be cantilevered forward enough for proper eye relief and cheek weld...

Back