Hammer pin walked out?

wileyote

I'm confussed, so any help,or experience on this subject would be greatly appreciated here.Plz bear with me its complicated Lol.
My uncle bought a new Colt upper from a mutual acquaintance. I Won a 300blkout upper from same acquaintance. Me,leaving town for work took him a stripped lower and said throw this together and I'll pick it up when I get back into town.
My uncle does the same. So 2 lowers built by the same guy. My hammer pin walks halfway out after 18 rounds, Uncles after 6 rounds. We dont know what lpk he used because he will not speak to us because he screwed my uncle over on a set of flip up sights. And doesn't want to cough up the sights he owes him. Lol so my question is what would cause this and why a new lower build? Suggestions and fix? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
probably a faulty set of pins, doesnt take much for the tolerance to be off.

order a couple sets of KNS anti walk pins and never worry about it again.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Oneprobably a faulty set of pins, doesnt take much for the tolerance to be off.

order a couple sets of KNS anti walk pins and never worry about it again.

Yep!

Sounds like improper assembly. On a stock type hammer there is a J-spring clip in the center of the hammer. It engages the center groove in the hammer pin and keeps it from walking out. The j-spring may be missing. Some aftermarket hammers use a spring clip that goes on the end of the hammer and engages an outer slot of the hammer pin. That spring clip is easy to leave off.

+1…..
Also if that's not the case, try a drop of blue loctite on the ends after assembled.
Originally Posted By: cb4017Sounds like improper assembly. On a stock type hammer there is a J-spring clip in the center of the hammer. It engages the center groove in the hammer pin and keeps it from walking out. The j-spring may be missing. Some aftermarket hammers use a spring clip that goes on the end of the hammer and engages an outer slot of the hammer pin. That spring clip is easy to leave off.

As far as know that hammer j spring is not shown on assembly diagrams and is not available as a seperate part . Sort of like bigfoot to find, but I and others can verify it's existance.
I could not get one from Remington who referred me to Bushmaster who sent me a whole new hammer that I pulled out the J spring to install it in the factory hammer.
I lost the factory spring and learned a lot.

Thank you for the responses. With only having one day off back home I didn't have time to mess with it at the range so I just swapped lowers so we could keep shooting.have to say i did enjoy shooting the 300blkout. Hopefully I'll have some time to investigate. I just never seen that happen after only a few rounds.

Improper assembly. Hammer pin is retained by the spring embedded in the hammer, trigger pin is retained by the leg of the hammer spring. Neither should walk out, even without spending/wasting money on anti-walk pins.

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorImproper assembly. Hammer pin is retained by the spring embedded in the hammer, trigger pin is retained by the leg of the hammer spring. Neither should walk out, even without spending/wasting money on anti-walk pins.

That's how I read it when I build mine. Never had one come out yet.

Greg

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorImproper assembly. Hammer pin is retained by the spring embedded in the hammer, trigger pin is retained by the leg of the hammer spring. Neither should walk out, even without spending/wasting money on anti-walk pins.

Yup

Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersOriginally Posted By: VarminterrorImproper assembly. Hammer pin is retained by the spring embedded in the hammer, trigger pin is retained by the leg of the hammer spring. Neither should walk out, even without spending/wasting money on anti-walk pins.

Yup

JoeBob done saved you $30.00.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersOriginally Posted By: VarminterrorImproper assembly. Hammer pin is retained by the spring embedded in the hammer, trigger pin is retained by the leg of the hammer spring. Neither should walk out, even without spending/wasting money on anti-walk pins.

Yup

Greg

$32.95!

To be fair, I like anti-walk pins for ease of install of triggers. Especially with drop-ins like the Timney AR15 trigger. However, I wouldn't buy anti-walk pins in this instance simply to solve a problem which is likely caused by the install.

Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersOriginally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersOriginally Posted By: VarminterrorImproper assembly. Hammer pin is retained by the spring embedded in the hammer, trigger pin is retained by the leg of the hammer spring. Neither should walk out, even without spending/wasting money on anti-walk pins.

Yup

Greg

$32.95!

To be fair, I like anti-walk pins for ease of install of triggers. Especially with drop-ins like the Timney AR15 trigger. However, I wouldn't buy anti-walk pins in this instance simply to solve a problem which is likely caused by the install.

LOL. I just made a SWAG on that one. Close.

Greg

Looks like I'm going to be able to go home and check out what the problem is. As soon as they release me from the hospital. Lol, [beeep] of a way to get out of working seven days a week. GET a Major infection! Not fun. But plenty of time to look up toy parts.

Originally Posted By: wileyoteLooks like I'm going to be able to go home and check out what the problem is. As soon as they release me from the hospital. Lol, [beeep] of a way to get out of working seven days a week. GET a Major infection! Not fun. But plenty of time to look up toy parts.

and you thought the hospital bill was going to be expensive huh?

on a serious note...

glad you're doin ok, just had a buddy in a similar boat as you, infection in his foot got into the bone. if he'd have gone in a few days later he would have lost at least part of his leg, and he's on home care IV-antibiotics for the next couple weeks too.

Yeah i have to have a scan in morning,hoping hasn't got to bone! Fingers crossed. Pisser is hospital blocks any gun website viewing. Makes it hard to shop.

Is the lower a colt! They have a larger pin than standard so if you put in a non colt pin it would be loose?

Start by saying my health is much better, and Glad Nov. n Dec. is gone. WOW, What a bad run. finally got to gun locker and had inspection time. found out pin problem. so called gun builder!!! did this to hammer pin. thanks for all your responses. Didnt take a brain surgeon to sipher what was wrong. hope pic shows. thanks 204

Last edited:
Back