If you could only have 2 AR15s, what calibers and what style rifles?

I only have one, .223/556 RRA, and am in the process of building a second in the same caliber, pre-election. The intent is to move the RRA back to a closer-range configuration, and the build will be a precision long range one. Currently the RRA is bastardized for both tasks as it is my only one.

If I were to introduce a second caliber, it would be a 458 SOCOM.

Last edited:
I'd have an Olympic Arms UMAR in 22-250 for calling and a DTI .223 for varmints. That's my current set up and I'm pretty happy with them. Any other calibers I would prefer bolt guns so I don't have to look for brass in grass and sage brush. I've tried 3 different brass catchers, and I'm happier manually cycling a bolt than using them.

Last edited:
This may or may not be the "odd duck" response depending on how you look at such a situation.

No offense to the OP, but this is kind of a dumb question.

If we could only have two AR style or semi-automatic rifles, then that means we better have a lot more than just two.

Gun registration is the first step to democide and compliance with illegitimate laws only legitimizes illegitimate government.

Last edited:
BHW barrels standard profile one 16" 556 with an aog for battle type of stuff. Then a ritch built 243lbc with a nightforce Nxs for any long range work. 556 would be good to be able to find ammo.

I think my mind just blew thinking about this..BUT if the U.S gets to this state with unrest/insanity..I would have to roll with mil cartridges..A 5.56 with 1-4X NXS and a 308 AR-10 topped with 3.5-15 NXS.As much I love my odd ball calibers..if I cant feed them they are no good.If they slam down on reloading(as they are treading on now with powder manf.) brass/powder/bullets/primers will be all but a unicorn.A gun with no ammo is just a piece of metal..Load up on your reloading stuff..IMO they will go after the ammunition/reloading before they go for the gun.I wouldn't be basing my caliber opinion on what I like,Id base it on what can I get and "use" 2/5/10 years down the road...

Last edited:
Only 2?
A 5.56 BCM 14.5 inch upper with either a pinned A2 flash suppressor or a pinned Battle Comp and KMR 13 inch handguard. A lower with a LaRue MBT trigger and Mission First Tactical Minimalist stock. Topped with a 1x4 or 1x5 or 6 optic.

A 16 inch 6.8spc Cardinal Arms upper with a Clark carbon fiber handguard on a lower with a LaRue MBT trigger and Mission First Tactical Minimalist stock. Topped with a 3x9 scope.

In other words pretty much what I have now. I like hunting with the 6.8 but if I had to just grab one because the world as we know it was ending...I'd take the 5.56 and lots of loaded mags.

Been a Cop for over 20 years and a police sniper so I tend to think more in defensive or SHTF type terms. Mine would probably be a couple I already have in the safe.

First is an SPR clone. 5.56 mm with 18" barrel, 1-8 twist. This is on a rifle lower with Geissele SSA trigger. Shoots MOA or better with good ammo, including 77 gr MK262. 2.5-10 scope with BUIS.

Second is an Aero Precision .308. 18" with 1-10 twist on a rifle lower with Geissele SSA trigger. Also shoots MOA or better with match ammo. 4-16 scope with BUIS.

I have a couple more ARs that are close but these are probably what I would stick with if I could only have two.

Back