ELD-X or ELD-M

Paccar

New to the 6.5 Creedmoore mainly shooting Yotes & steel. I can't find any of the ELD-X in stock so is the ELD-M going to work on Yotes?

It is a match bullet, very similar to the Amax. They do not expand quite like a "hunting" bullet, but the Amax is regarded as a great hunting bullet. I am unaware of any changes, other than the tip, between the Amax and the ELD-M,

Originally Posted By: pahntr760It is a match bullet, very similar to the Amax. They do not expand quite like a "hunting" bullet, but the Amax is regarded as a great hunting bullet. I am unaware of any changes, other than the tip, between the Amax and the ELD-M,

i was able to confirm that with hornady tech support not long after they hit the market when i contacted them about load data for them since they had only published the ELD-X.

Quote:
ebfc3a2a091a4382974f6f8640c55407.jpeg

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: pahntr760It is a match bullet, very similar to the Amax. They do not expand quite like a "hunting" bullet, but the Amax is regarded as a great hunting bullet. I am unaware of any changes, other than the tip, between the Amax and the ELD-M,

i was able to confirm that with hornady tech support not long after they hit the market when i contacted them about load data for them since they had only published the ELD-X.

Quote:

I am assuming the ELD-X is an SST with the heat shield tip? Or I suppose VMax in smaller weights/calibers?

it appears thats where they went with the technology - a blend of bullet shape to up the long range accuracy and modified jacket construction for hunting but i never asked that question of tech support.

i have piles of SST's left in my hunting calibers, and i dont often get to shoot past 100 or 125 yds while hunting, so i havent explored the ELD-X in the field yet.

my reason for contacting them about the ELD-M load data was that since the amax was being discontinued and i only had about 1500 208 amax on hand i knew i'd need the info at some point relatively early (compared to hunting with SST's anyway)

The eld match will easily kill coyotes out of the creedmoor. My favorite bullet in 223 these days is the 75 amax from prairie dogs to coyotes to steal.

I am shooting the 143 eld-x out of my creedmoor. The 140 eld-m was much easier to find a sweet spot while loading for as well.

So if the ELD-M & the A-Max are one in the same why is the BC higher on the ELD-M?? They get that much just from the new tip??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PaccarSo if the ELD-M & the A-Max are one in the same why is the BC higher on the ELD-M?? They get that much just from the new tip??

That's the hype at least...

Ok the reason I asked is at the last trip to the range my drop number data matches the BC of the A-Max more so than the ELD-M has anyone else found this as well??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pahntr760Published BCs are a ballpark at most. Only way to really check them is with field work, IME

+1
Very good advice.

I went out last week to test my BC, because my last match I shot like dog squeeze! So... I ran the 140gr ELDM through the croon, then tested out to 1250yards on a full sized IPSG. I had to adjust the BC up a little. The dope is good to go now.

we shot them out to 1736 yds and in that gun the factory ammo shot just like the hand loads,he then shot antelope out to 860yds and dropped them with one shot. and factory ammo can be had for around 23.00 a box with eld x bullets so I would just buy a box and see how they shoot,then you have some brass also.[cheaper than buy all the pieces you need to load. [then you can crono. some and work a load ] just a thought

Hornady now tests and determines their BC's with a Doppler Radar just like Bryan Litz does. That being said as stated above those numbers can very from rifle to rifle so its best to shoot bullet to transonic range and get BC established for each individual rifle. I found their BC on the 143 eld-x got me in the neighborhood and only had to make a slight adjustment - found BC to be higher than what they had it listed as. I am sure it would be different in another rifle / cartridge combo.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: pahntr760It is a match bullet, very similar to the Amax. They do not expand quite like a "hunting" bullet, but the Amax is regarded as a great hunting bullet. I am unaware of any changes, other than the tip, between the Amax and the ELD-M,

Quote:

I am assuming the ELD-X is an SST with the heat shield tip? Or I suppose VMax in smaller weights/calibers?

I don't think so. I believe that they are more like the traditional Interlock, with a better tip and profile. SSTs are explosive junk, and preliminary reports that I have seen on the ELD-X, is that they perform pretty well.

To the OP, the match bullets will work fine. Anything works on coyotes.

Last edited:
I know the 75gr ELDm work great on Coyotes in the 2950fps range. Kills them pretty well and I'd consider them fur friendly.

So are the eldm bullets tougher then the eldx? I was at a local store and that’s what they were telling a guy that the eldm was oils be tougher then eldx.

To the necroposter - The 75 ELDM is the old 75 A-max with a new tip, and it killed coyotes just fine too.

For zr600: Personally, I'm not sure I'd say the ELD-M's are tougher, and certainly not over all of the weights and calibers...

Here's a 123grn ELD-M recovered from my buck this year, hit at 33yrds with a 6.5 Grendel... only 67% weight retention... Not exactly a long shot, but also not exactly a high velocity round, and not exactly a "tough" bullet...

38941723481_bcc44d8ebb_c.jpg

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorTo the necroposter - The 75 ELDM is the old 75 A-max with a new tip, and it killed coyotes just fine too.

For zr600: Personally, I'm not sure I'd say the ELD-M's are tougher, and certainly not over all of the weights and calibers...

Here's a 123grn ELD-M recovered from my buck this year, hit at 33yrds with a 6.5 Grendel... only 67% weight retention... Not exactly a long shot, but also not exactly a high velocity round, and not exactly a "tough" bullet...

38941723481_bcc44d8ebb_c.jpg

I have read good and bad about the ELDX. In that slow grendel, it looks like the m performed great. That is good weight retention, for a close shot. Lots are saying that they like the 147 ELDM on game from large to small. I have only shot deer with them and they are great. I have bigger guns for elk. The ELDM is just a re-designed AMax. The inside is the same, but it has a bit different profile and a fancy tip. I sure would not push that ELDX to super-velocity, as I think it is much like the SST. I won't ever shoot another deer with an SST. They are much to frangible for my liking. My experience shows the ELDM to be a fairly tough bullet, considering that it is a target bullet. It is really hard to beat the standard 129 Interlock in the 6.5s.

Last edited:
I loaded the 143gr ELD-X in my 264 win mag I had built for long range shooting. It is shooting really well with them at a muzzle velocity of 3240fps.

I shot one of the biggest bodied bucks I've ever killed, maybe ever seen with that rifle this season. He was a 6 or 7yr old buck that had been around a while, never developed a great rack. This year he became the dominant buck of the area and was whipping all the young bucks with good genetics so I decided to target him. I shot him at 150yds as he started to run off and hit him straight through the front shoulder. He dropped instantly. When I quartered him out I found that the bullet had fragmented on the shoulder and I never recovered a piece big enough to weigh. Impact velocity was still around 3000fps so it was asking a lot of a non-bonded or monolithic bullet to hold up. It did the job, just not quite like I'd have preferred. If I'd have hit the lungs results may have been better.

During antlerless season I got to try it again. I shot a doe downhill and facing me at 321yds. This time the bullet performed more as expected. The bullet entered high in the front of her chest, exited her belly at the back of the lungs, and broke a back leg on it's way past. She also dropped instantly. Impact velocity here should have been about 2750fps.

Just an FYI for those looking at this bullet. They shoot so good I want to stick with them and plan to use them again next year to see how they perform, get some more animals with them. I think in a smaller case 6.5 or at longer range they will be darn good. From a big 6.5 up close they may be a bit soft. I won't use this rifle on anything bigger than deer, that's what the 300WM is for with 180gr Accubonds. I like a bigger tougher bullet for large animals.

Back