Baiting

I posted this originally in the night hunting section, but this coyote was coming into my yard and eating pears off one of my trees. So, I guess technically it was a baiting kill. Lol

I made the kill shot with the Pulsar Apex XD50A--my first blood with it. Shot was 84 yds.

Archery season has been productive for my wife and I. I have 2 fresh carcass on the bone pile !!! Tonight they found them! Had 2 come in. Pretty sure if my 6 month wait for my suppressor was over I could have gotten them both. Still very pleased with first season kill on the bait pile. Only 10:50 pm. Might get another wake up tonight.

Nice going Utah. How far do you shoot at your bait site? Do you shoot from a blind or building or how do you use the bait site? Just curious about your setup.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Nice going Utah. How far do you shoot at your bait site? Do you shoot from a blind or building or how do you use the bait site? Just curious about your setup.

Thanks 6mm06, It's 175 yards to the site. I shoot from the back porch. I have no neighbors to worry about. Alarm goes off, I roll out of bed, grab the AR by the door, ID the target and take the shot. I filled my archery elk tag yesterday. More scraps for the site!!

I have been away for a while, good to see the "regulars" still having excellent success. I really appreciate the videos, PURDY work guys. THANKS

Iam not sure if this is a separate thread or forum ? My question is for this winter hunting. Has anyone on here tried restaurant (used ) grease for a bait pile for attracting coyotes ? I think it might not be legal in some states not sure about that so check your state to be sure,I doubt it is legal in Mt. or Canada as almost anything that might be cheap and effective is off limits . Curious how it works in other places ?

Originally Posted By: LodgepoleIam not sure if this is a separate thread or forum ? My question is for this winter hunting. Has anyone on here tried restaurant (used ) grease for a bait pile...
Try starting a new thread in this forum with that question, you'll get more viewers..imo..
title like: "Grease for a bait pile??"

Bob,I thought that was what I did ! Obviously I don't know what I am doing !I do know how to start a new topic on the firearms forum but it must be different on baiting. HELP

NBD, it can be confusing going from one site to another.
Here's how I would start a new topic under the Predator Hunting sub-forum:

at the top pick "Forum List"
then scroll down and pick "Predator Hunting"
then pick "New Topic" and it should look like this, just before picked:

164236156.KdJej5ST.new_topic.JPG

I have read that one bait hunter for wolves prefers to be about 200 yds out to keep from spooking them with small noises and scent . Has this been a issue for you baiters ?

175 yards is my sweet spot. I tried closer and they busted me. At night with a red LED light any further and I missed more than I hit. My site is on hold until vultures head south. They are devouring everything before the coyotes can find it.

Originally Posted By: utah yote175 yards is my sweet spot. I tried closer and they busted me. At night with a red LED light any further and I missed more than I hit. My site is on hold until vultures head south. They are devouring everything before the coyotes can find it.

I guess each area has its own particular set of circumstances. My bait site is only 60 yards but I have no trouble getting coyotes to come that close to my little cabin. I could shoot up to 135-140 yards just as well from the cabin, but there is no need to. As you mentioned, shooting further equals more misses. Everything seems to look further at night too. A guy has to determine what works best for him and what the coyotes will tolerate.

I suppose to be practical the further away the better if can you hit em . Amazing how that little puff of breeze get to them really quick. I chuckle when some say things like the wind is " out of the west" (is that for 20 seconds before it 90 degrees). I am not a mind reader for the wind !

Last night I had a bit of luck. Since this is an on-going thread, I am posting it here as well as in the Night Calling section, which considers night vision equipment. I use my home-made night vision with good success. It's somewhat crude, definitely inexpensive, but flat out works.

Coyotes have been hitting my bait pile for the last few nights, so I stayed at the cabin last night in hopes they would return.
They did, or at least two of them did. The night before there were three at the site.

I got this large female around 3:40 AM this morning, shot with my Dtech 6x45 shooting 75 gr. Sierra HPs. I used a new home-made
night vision build and a T-20 3-mode IR Illuminator, 850nm.

I rode the 4-wheeler this time instead of walking the 300 or so yards to the cabin, and chancing scenting up the area.
I'm glad I did now since the coyotes went down the path to where I would have walked up, and probably would have
smelled me. They were pretty nervous, moreso than the two nights before. Not sure if they smelled the heat from the
cabin, my scent or what.

This is how my newest home-made night vision build looks on the 6x45. I like it except there is a bright spot around the crosshair area.
I think the problem is the scope, maybe coated lenses or something. I really like the scope but it just shows a bright area and somewhat
whites out where I'm aiming, especially on bright IR setting. I may have to change scopes. I did try another scope in the back yard the
other day and it seemed to look better, but the verdict is still out as to whether it's the scope, camera, lens or what. Either way, it works
just fine. I just like good video and that's my main concern about the bright spot.

Here's the video which shows trail camera footage two nights before the hunt, and of course the take down last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKkB3V5oWYw&feature=youtu.be

David, Your setup and your patience is amazing. I would have tried to shoot ever coyote as soon as they got in the cross hairs but then I would not have a story to share. Thanks and keep it up!
Regards Al

Back