Scope question for yote hunting

mnmike

Im not sure if this is the right area for this questions but here it goes.

Im looking at NF ATACR in either their F1 or their SFP. I make a couple trips out west each year to hunt yotes and I hunt them under moonlight here in minnesota. So my question is. On lower powers will the Reticle on the F1 be big enough to make shots at night? I know its illuminated but i havent looked though the F1's I have my buddies rifle here with the SFP version and i know that would work. But I like FFP scopes But have not hunted with one yet at night under moonlight to know if it will work. I have the Burris XTR II with the G2B reticle but havent had it long enough to try it under moonlight with snow on the ground. any input would be great Thanks.

Last edited:
I have lots of experience with FFP and might hunting, just not that high of magnification. I run a USO 1-6x and it normally stays on 3x. The reticle shows up fine and is plenty big. Mine is green illumination. I'm assuming you're running lights. I'm not sure if the illumination on the ATACR's are adjustable on the fly or not, but if they are like the NXS, it may be somewhat aggravating trying to get the illumination setup for all situations.

Moonlight is the only light I can use. The ATACR is just a push button on the side of the scope. Can be set up red or green. I think press and hold to adjust brightness.

Redleg84 when you have the scope on its lowest power with the reticle illuminated does it look kind of like a pain duplex? Or do you think it would be easily visible to hunt with at night under moonlight?

Redleg84 when you have the scope on its lowest power with the reticle illuminated does it look kind of like a pain duplex? Or do you think it would be easily visible to hunt with at night under moonlight?

I just took it out and get an idea of how well it'd work. I never had a need for illumination down south so I never messed with it. I would say the green illumination would be an advantage over red when using it on low.

The reticle is actually really useful on 4x, more than a simple duplex and not too small. I would feel comfortable using it to hunt with. I tried to take a picture with my cellphone of the reticle but it's near impossible to focus it correctly, I'll pm you the picture. I'm used to 2-10 range scopes where the reticle is really small and unusable on min power, this scope doesn't have that problem

Sounds like you're good to go. The only other issue that I can think of is how bright is the reticle at its lowest setting. Will it blur out your target? Some times you can't see "past" the reticle because it's too bright.

Seeing past the reticle I thought might be a problem on a sfp scope while it's illuminated. But under moonlight it's fairly bright out with snow cover.

The reticle gets low, I don't think it would cause a problem being too bright. I had very little light tonight and it still had settings lower than what I had it on. This is also where I felt the green was easier to use than the red. It seemed easier to look past the reticle and move target to target with the green reticle than it was with the red. A real light background like snow might change that though.

Just my prospective, I haven't hunted at night yet

Back