...I Almost Forgot...

Infidel 762

Staff member
Familiar with that old CCR song; "I wanna know, have you ever seen the rain.. Coming down on a sunny day.." .?.

Funny what can bring back that which has been forgotten. We were in college drinking whiskey at the lake. Rain was falling thru the sunshine when that song came on. The world seemed like such a bigger place back then.

I forgot what I was going to say... Oh yeah, since early August I have been busy getting things ready for deer season. Getting things ready and obsessing over this whitetail;

One could only hope. Hope that as autumn dissolves the summer sun, his travel patterns would not lead him out of the area before the season. Here, the first freeze kills off a lot of the native vegetation. These changes in the landscape break lazy, summer patterns. While I believe; the intellect and creativity of deer holds not a candle to that of coyote, their antlers offer equity that no coyote could match.

The story that led to this point; http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...420#Post2997420

Not wanting to burn my last buck tag this early in the season, I switched gears. While focused on deer I almost forgot.. Forgot how mentally relaxing chasing coyote can be.

In the crisp morning air shrouded in predawn darkness, memories are shapeless with little value of what lies ahead. Glancing up thru the stars, you can see where space and time are infinite with no boundaries or defined edges.

I found myself sitting on a sand ridge beneath a lone willow tree as the song of birds awaken the day. Vapor from an e-cig verifies wind as I let out one lone howl. I remain quite for several minutes as shooting light increases, illuminating newer possibilities. Shortly into my first series of rabbit I spy a coyote coming in thru the bottom below, she stopped in an opening and as I was about to shoot she disappeared. Moments later her mate was on the same path and stepped in the same opening. I did not wait as long to take the shot on this one;

Sometimes, I forget to slow down and skim over the details in the landscape. Skim over details like this legless lizard;

Standing over the harvest of my late afternoon stand, it all came back into focus. Hunting is more than just a direct conduit to tradition, balance or even sanity. It is human nature, an instinct traced back to early man's drawings on cave walls. A seemingly simpler time when humanity could still tell the difference between illusions and reality;

Glancing back I heard it. Unlike the phases of the moon which change in an orderly way, the song of coyote is sung with a mixture of voices. Those voices sound Greek to many who dwell in the shallow trappings of our modern world. I find their tone illuminates a clarity that is increasingly rare in our materialistic civilization, even when sung off key. Coyote’s song cannot be bought, sold or possessed for use at ones desire. Like a falling star it can only be takin in at the moment , it remains with the landscape when you leave.

Lest we forget; the unfettered wild is found in the landscape and that landscape is the wild. Further and beyond the city streets that chafe the soul, is here;

Out here, it is easier to remember the things you try to forget. Pick up and re-process them into a different light, then let it all go. Let it all go until it is just gone, gone, and gone...

Never been too good with names, but I remember places…

/Predators/HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif[/img]

Very nice Jeremy, very nice. You sure have a nice little slice of the world on which to play. Sure is heart-warming to see you and your family enjoying it the way you do. Thanks for bringing us along...

Originally Posted By: DesertRamVery nice Jeremy, very nice. You sure have a nice little slice of the world on which to play. Sure is heart-warming to see you and your family enjoying it the way you do. Thanks for bringing us along...

Thank you but we don't have the volcanic mesas you have in NM...

Im guessing that if their song could be deciphered on the night they figured out you were back after them, it would be another CCR great!

And congrats on the nice buck! I'm sure the coyotes appreciated the breather.HAHA

Last edited:
Goodun Jeremy. What's the difference between a legless lizard and a snake?
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

Jeremy--Your "Little Drop" deer was a fine buck. I love the way you spin the story and enjoy the great photos. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

thanks for the kind remarks all

Originally Posted By: tripod3Around here the bucks change their pattern 2 hours before daylight on opening day.

yep, alot turn completely nocturnal and evaporate during the light

Originally Posted By: flintrockIm guessing that if their song could be deciphered on the night they figured out you were back after them, it would be another CCR great!

And congrats on the nice buck! I'm sure the coyotes appreciated the breather.HAHA

gotta love ccr

Originally Posted By: hm1996Goodun Jeremy. What's the difference between a legless lizard and a snake?
grin.gif

Regards,
hm this a trick question?
um they cant dislocate their jaws to swallow prey, they have ear holes, they dont shed their entire skin like a snake and their tails break off when grabbed by a predator.. not sure what else
scared.gif

No tricks, Jeremy
lol.gif
. Just needed a bit of edumication.

Had never heard of a legless lizard. I did notice the difference in the mouth in your pic after I asked, though.

Learn something new every day; now if I could just remember it.
lol.gif

Regards,
Clarence

Back