Calling with my son.....

Dropadoglv

1zbxi4i.jpg

So, took my 14yr. son out last night to do some calling. I told him he could pick the areas, the stands and let him do all the calling. He was using some of his and my hand calls, and have to say he did a great job. Each stand, we were switching back and fourth, him using the 12ga and I would use the AR, trying to cover him on the longer shots, then I would post with the gauge and he would cover me. Have to say, we were on the same page.

Made quite a few stands, called in plenty of coyotes, but most were M.I.T. graduates...lol.

By the morning hours, he had shot 2 coyotes, one with the gauge and one with his AR. unfortunately, we lost one yote. Blood was at the shot site, but nothing? he's lost plenty hunting at night, so he really didn't get too bummed out.

He ended the night with 1 kit fox, 1 coyote and 1 Ring Tail cat, which are pretty tough to call. I would say, all in all, it was a pretty good night of calling for him and all were shot with the 12 ga.

To add, Ring Tails are legal to hunt here in Nevada and he has all the correct licensing, fur/trappers.

23wplxj.jpg

I too put one down, at 20 yds. very early in the morning. It was actually a great typical shotgun post. I posted in front of the caller decoy which was about 20yds behind me and my son was posted in front of the decoy at about 25yds to my left. Worked out great!!! as he was blowing on the call, a yote came in from my right, and stopped at about the 100yd mark. My kid stopped for a few seconds and I knew immediately he had seen the dog coming in.

He waited for a bit, and began blowing again. He called him right in to that kill zone, and the shot was taken! hit him dead broad side, but to my surprise the dog literally did a roll, and looked like all in one motion, got up and on a full sprint, ran across me to my left. Took a second shot, and he took it right in the dome....DRT.

It was absolutely a fun night and early morning hunt for both of us! Wouldn't trade it for the world!!!! I will say this, Camo is over rated...lol, JK. Regards, Drop

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on the quality time spent w/your son. Can't beat that, Rick.

Do you have many ring tails in your area? It's been a lot of years since I've heard of anyone sighting one in extreme south TX. and have never seen a fox south of Del Rio.

Regards,
hm

My son is 10 and I am have been trying to get him involved and excited about hunting with me for the last few years. We are getting there slowly. I hope to be able to enjoy moments like this with him in the future. Thanks for the post.

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762That's pretty sweat.. What do you do with the ringtail cat? Fur worth any thing Thanks Jeremy, the pelts are not worth too much...they go by length for price. This one was on the bigger side, around the 20-21" mark. But they make pretty cool mounts. That's where this one is going...lol. Regards, Drop

Originally Posted By: hm1996Congratulations on the quality time spent w/your son. Can't beat that, Rick.

Do you have many ring tails in your area? It's been a lot of years since I've heard of anyone sighting one in extreme south TX. and have never seen a fox south of Del Rio.

Regards,
hm
thank you Clarence, there's quite a few I've seen during calling cats. But they are usually in high rocky places that's tough to recover. The kits are pretty much everywhere on the flats mousing and diggin. But they are somewhat a little sketchy. We do have a Sierra red, but it's federally protected. I hunt Arizona too, they seem to have much more greys than Nevada. Regards, Drop. P.S. Your jeep still going great?...lol

Originally Posted By: Jason BMy son is 10 and I am have been trying to get him involved and excited about hunting with me for the last few years. We are getting there slowly. I hope to be able to enjoy moments like this with him in the future. Thanks for the post. That's a great age to get him started. I used to drag my son around when he was about 4-5. Dress him up in oversize Camo, tell him just to be very quiet and look. I think the turning point was when he shot his first at 7. Then he started begging me to go! Been hooked ever since. He still hunts with me about 2-3 times a month when in school, but now.....he's been mostly huntin girls!....lol. Regards, Drop

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Call-and-KillLooks like a great time! Ring tail and kit fox would be awesome to hunt! Excuse my ignorance, but what are the playing cards for? The cards are for an online tournament. Really fun! Regards, Drop

Cool! Do you know if ringtails are legal for nonresidents? I'd sure like to try for one during the PM hunt next September. They're legal furbearers here in NM, but since we can't night hunt, getting one is a pretty tall order.

Originally Posted By: DesertRamCool! Do you know if ringtails are legal for nonresidents? I'd sure like to try for one during the PM hunt next September. They're legal furbearers here in NM, but since we can't night hunt, getting one is a pretty tall order. Wow, we both thank you for "hunter of the month" nomination. I'm truly humbled. I will add, if this gets the most votes, I would like to donate the prize to "Jason B's" son! He's 10yrs old and it may put a smile on his face! And we all need to get those kids out in the field with there boots on the ground. And to answer your question. Yes, non-residents can hunt Ring Tails here. I know plenty of locations here that may produce some. Shoot me a PM, I'll let you know. Thanks again. Regards, Drop

Last edited:

Quote:p.S. Your jeep still going great?...lol

Unfortunately, It's been sitting on it's trailer since last January, Rick. That's last time I was able to get out due to wife's health issues. I start it up every month or so; did you know these newfangled jeeps "forget" all the computer settings if you don't run them every once in a while? After about 3 months of being idle, it would start, stumble, die. If you managed to "catch" it and keep it running by pumping accelerator, it would run very rough, but would die at idle. Mechanic told me that if I could drive it a few miles the computer would "re-learn" the settings.

Quote:but now.....he's been mostly huntin girls!....

Uh-oh......girls, the ruination of many a young man's outdoor life. Lost my grandson as hunting partner to that affliction.
lol.gif

Glad you're going to mount the ring-tail. That should be a real trophy; be sure to post pictures.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996
Quote:p.S. Your jeep still going great?...lol

Unfortunately, It's been sitting on it's trailer since last January, Rick. That's last time I was able to get out due to wife's health issues. I start it up every month or so; did you know these newfangled jeeps "forget" all the computer settings if you don't run them every once in a while? After about 3 months of being idle, it would start, stumble, die. If you managed to "catch" it and keep it running by pumping accelerator, it would run very rough, but would die at idle. Mechanic told me that if I could drive it a few miles the computer would "re-learn" the settings.

Quote:but now.....he's been mostly huntin girls!....

Uh-oh......girls, the ruination of many a young man's outdoor life. Lost my grandson as hunting partner to that affliction.
lol.gif

Glad you're going to mount the ring-tail. That should be a real trophy; be sure to post pictures.

Regards,
hm I'm sorry to hear about your wife! I truly hope it all works out. Regards, Drop

Back