Any thoughts or suggestions - Jeep AR15

I've got a 2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ that I use exclusively for hunting here in Arizona. Given the issues with desert hunting and the potential of running into bad guys in the desert, I've decided to build an AR to keep permanently in my Jeep.

I have an Aero Precision Gen2 lower and upper to build from. What I'm looking for are some suggestions for buttstock, sights and accessories for this build. I can't make up my mind if I want a red dot, open or low mag scope based on the fact this sight will be bouncing around in my vehicle. Actually, I have a gun rack that mounts overhead that attaches to the roll bar. I'm also looking for 16" barrel suggestions.........1in7 twist?

Thanks

Kevin

My favorite collapsible stock is the Vltor IMOD, and if it's mainly a defensive setup, I'd go with an Aimpoint PRO. Very rugged, good battery life, and not crazy expensive. 1/7 or 1/8 would be good, if you want to shoot heavies go with the 1/7.

I like the 18 inch barrels. Mission first minimalist stock,
Burris mtac with the red dot on top of a pepr mount or just a low pwer variable. If they are too close to aim then you probably wont need to.

Magpul UBR, 18" 1:7" midweight, free float tube, A2 grip.

Optics - folding BUIS's & Leup Mark AR 1.5-4x in a QD PEPR.

Last edited:
If you are leaving it in your Jeep and its just for possibility of problems arising, then I would go cheap. One of PSA's kits they have on sale and run iron sights with short barrrel. I wouldn't want to put much money into something that could easily get stolen.

Originally Posted By: 36FanIf you are leaving it in your Jeep and its just for possibility of problems arising, then I would go cheap. One of PSA's kits they have on sale and run iron sights with short barrrel. I wouldn't want to put much money into something that could easily get stolen.

or something thats just for taking care of problems and that if you do have to, will involve it sitting in the evidence locker for god knows how long.

all you need is functional and something that will be 3-4" accurate at 100 yds. KISS, and keep it cheap.

as noted a PSA "Freedom" kit or something of that like is probably on the right track.

Magpuls and Vltors have there place but in this instance I would recommend the Fab-Defence GL-Mag butt stock. You can carry the ten round mag that comes with it right in the stock itself. That way you don't have to rummage around for a loaded mag when you need it most. A twenty round will also fit in it.

A good reliable standard 16" mid-length with a pinned A2 front sight base, standard drop in handguards, and an Aimpoint. I would even say a weapon mounted light as well, but wouldn't make the light a primary focus.

Probably a BCM.
smile.gif

Watching what other guys have experienced here, I'm getting the idea that accuracy in an AR is mostly on the barrel first, then the trigger, then the shooter? Maybe the free float thing, decent stock for in the bags, etc.? In that light, and again based on others experience, I'm thinking an inexpensive base AR like a PSA, etc, w/ the toys on it you want, and a Green Mountain or such bbl would give good accuracy w/o insane costs. Can sell the original bbl new if wanted. ab bentley here had a hummer of a Green Mountain bbl on a build of his with a bunch of ebay parts, IIRC. GM has some stainless bbl's on sale for $125 or so sometimes.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...480#Post2832480

This info is worth what you paid for it perhaps........

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your responses. I probably should have stated that I'm from the "cry once" crowd having bought cheap and replaced with expensive more times than I care to admit.

I think I'm going to quell the need and try and go middle of the road here. I think I'm gonna go with the Aimpoint Pro although their CS seems to be lacking over a lot of the other companies. I have a RRA 2 stage varmint trigger and LPK I will use. For the Barrel, I'm leaning towards a WOA or La Rue or maybe a RRA (I'm looking for SS and Wylde Chamber). The Wilson looked like a good choice since it's threaded for 5/8x24 to use with my suppressor, but that beast weighs over 3lbs. and I know what that's like with one of my other AR builds..

I still have a 6.5 Grendel and 300 BO I want to build since I have the uppers and lowers, so I don't want to go too crazy with a Jeep gun. Just waiting for Black Friday and Cyber Monday to find some deals

Kevin

I hear ya NdIndy! Fortunately for me, this jeep is a dedicated hunting rig. It doesn't go into town except for gas. So far, and maybe I'm just lucky, I don't see many if anyone in the areas I hunt. Being retired means I only hunt during the week so traffic out in the desert is almost nil.

Kevin

Back