Bass Pro and Cabela's combine

Several months in the woks and the news release from BP is quite interesting. I suspect the Cabela prices will now rise to the level of BP and they are too high.

Greg

Cabelas was late to the party here in metro Atlanta.
Had to go a couple states away to find one, prior.
Prices in this new one are just as high as the local Bass Pro that's been around for +20 years.

Our Academy is eating their lunch on ammo and low end guns.
They're even starting to stock reloading stuff.

Yeah, I hate to hear that a deal was struck. I'm not a BPS fan for hunting related gear. I have always liked Cabela's and worry this is going to change the selection and quality of gear offered and very likely the pricing too.

Well, like everyone else I am hoping for the best. Actually, I have made some really good deals at Cabela's. Got a S&W K-38, a 2" S&W .22 Kit Gun (so hard to find!) $150 off a damaged Caldwell Stable Table (fixed with 50 cents worth of JB Weld) and got some better deals than anyone else on occasion on ammo and reloading stuff. No usually but sometimes.

This merge, if that's what it is, may be a Good Thing. We can only hope.

Handwriting on the wall. Overall I think the customers will be the loser.
Glad I don't have much Cabela's branded merchandise.

Originally Posted By: wompaYou better use your points up if you have their card, the CC operation was sold to Capital One.

The company's press release say the Rewards program will go unchanged.

Greg

I have a BP and Cab. near here and other than breathable waders at Cabelas and artificial sand worms at BP I've pretty much have out grown them. I rarely shoot or hunt with ammo carried by them, hunting mainly with wildscats, rare or obsolete calibers and shotshells. I do most of my shopping on line now or pick up stuff from LGS's on my travels. My local Bi-Mart beats them on powder and primers.

I agree their prices are usually high anyway. It's hard for all the retailers now, everything can be had cheaper online, sometimes with free shipping. Sometimes you even avoid sales tax.

i dont understand why,,,i have heard walmart owns part of bass pro but not facts u would think they need each other just to survive,,,i have both stores close to me here in st louis but iseldom use any of them i prefer the mom and pop shops

Originally Posted By: tripod3Handwriting on the wall. Overall I think the customers will be the loser.
Glad I don't have much Cabela's branded merchandise.

they cant drop any standing warranty's. when you merge two company's you take on its liabilities as part of the deal (not just the assets) and that includes warranty coverage.

http://business-law.lawyers.com/buying-s...quisitions.html

as i've always understood it... while they may decide to change stuff going forward on the warranty policy on house branded stuff, if you already own it, they have to stand behind it like they used to for at least one warranty exchange. If they no longer offer a product line, they will have to offer you a similar quality and price point item in the event that an exchange needs to occur under the warranty. That replacement product may or may not carry a similar warranty as the product its replacing.

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlCabelas was late to the party here in metro Atlanta.
Had to go a couple states away to find one, prior.
Prices in this new one are just as high as the local Bass Pro that's been around for +20 years.

Our Academy is eating their lunch on ammo and low end guns.
They're even starting to stock reloading stuff.

Academy has really stepped up their game in the Tulsa area. They have remodeled the stores and have alot of firearms and related products as well as reloading stuff. Still a little light on reloading and its mostly all Hornady.

In my area there are two Bass Pro's and a Cabela's. I prefer Cabela's they have much better ammo selection and firearms then Bass Pro. Cabela's has been stocked with 22's for several months while Bass Pro has had none. A while back I was the owner of Cabela's on TV he said they were cutting back on new stores because they end competing against each other if they are to close.

I agree...don't buy much gun related from them.Originally Posted By: bryan hAround here Cabela's prices are a little on the high side already there are much better places to shop.

Well good for them. I don't shop at either one anymore and haven't for quite a while now. Both are way over priced and the shipping at Cabelas was the worst. Me? I shop in person at Sportsmans Warehouse and will continue to even after they build a new Cabalas here next year, but mostly on line.

I have a better selection of reloading supplies on my shelfs than the local Cabela's does.

- DAA

Back