Group flyers?

zr600

When I shoot 5 shot groups I always get one flyer and the rest are right were they should be. Is this a cold bore deal and why or is it just me 4 are in the size of a quarter or smaller at 200 yards minus the one flyer it's seems to be every time I shoot a 5 shot group.

LOL! welcome to the club. I don't know how many good groups I blew with 1 flier. All kinds of reasons for it; off balanced bullet, neck tension off, powder charge off, bad shooting form, etc. You name it.

If it's always a cold bore shot, it's not unusual. Snipers log their cold bore shots so they know the correction for the first round.

Last edited:
unfortunatly only you will be able to tell us if its a cold bore deal or not.

if you want to eliminate the cold bore shot, load 6, shoot a sighter into a seperate target (or off in one of the corners of the target marked for sighter) and then shoot your five shot group.

See if that helps.

it could also be a mental block thing.

i know i've blown a bunch of 5 shot groups from very nice to 'meh'. one of my fav examples is this group at 565 yds with my LR308. I called the flyer, but thats here nor there. It was shot #4 in the group. Hornady Match 168 amax. without the flyer its just under a ½ moa group.

MldjDvo.jpg

If while shooting at a match or load work up and I have an unexplained flyer I will turn my brass with the neck up instead of down to identify it in the box.When I get home I will check it and see if there are any discrepancies in it. Sometimes there are,most times it is just me. I have a .300 WM that will shoot 1" high and 1 1/4" left on the cold bore shot then come back where it should be.

1st shot out of a clean bore? Originally Posted By: zr600When I shoot 5 shot groups I always get one flyer and the rest are right were they should be. Is this a cold bore deal and why or is it just me 4 are in the size of a quarter or smaller at 200 yards minus the one flyer it's seems to be every time I shoot a 5 shot group.

If i shoot a 100 rd group, ill have 1 "flier". If i shoot a 5 shot, 1 "flier".

Ive been shooting for years, never seen an actual flier.

Back